Things You Learned from HGS...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Faster Horses, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Ever had that moment with your horses? Something happens, and you think "Oh yeah, so-and-so said that might happen..."

My coming five gelding sprouted a wither out of nowhere. I swear, he didn't have it this fall. Now, he is actually 14 hands! (thanks, wither!)

@Rhythm 'n Blues mentioned in someone's thread that this happens around five. Guess she's right!

So, here's a thank you thread. What have you learned that really turned out to be true? Who do you have to thank?

mkoktavy, Acornicus, ginster and 4 others like this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Where do I even start?! I lurked for about a year or more before I joined in December 2009. So many members who were active then aren’t anymore. I can’t remember specifics, but the things I learned reading this forum everyday helped “mature” all the things I learned from books and TV programs about working with horses growing up and laid the groundwork for finally be able to work with a horse myself. I finally joined the forum after I met and started riding Brandi.

But from that time before I joined, one specific that I remember is @GotaDunQH and @Lopinslow and others taught me that Western Pleasure isn’t evil. Because of them, I was able to watch a Western Pleasure class at Congress with understanding and appreciation. I was able to admire the stallions in stallion row without guilt. And, when I met Brandi, I was able to understand (to a degree) her background. They also taught be how to find her buttons, though I wasn’t experienced enough to refresh or maintain them.

Early on, a video that @endurgirl made taught me how to do a Western cinch with the buckle. Revolutionized tacking up for me. I am helpless doing the knot, even with in person instruction, and it always took me forever to saddle. No one around used the buckle so no one else showed me. I am forever in her debt. Sometimes it’s the little things that are the most important. :p

@spinandslide in starting her Chincoteague pony that way, introduced me to the wonderfully fascinating tradition of Vaquero/Californio training. She, and company, are how I found the book The Hackamore Reinsman. This is a major part of the way I ride now, and I have learned (and still am learning!) so much from it.

From various members over the years, I’ve added to my bag of horse catching tricks. I can now catch... anything. lol If it’s got four legs and whinnies, I can catch it. No matter how they play “you can’t catch me.” Heck, walked right up to “he’s hard to catch and doesn’t let new people catch him” at the new barn first try.

@Patty Stiller and @JBandRio introduced me to the ELPO and a better way to trim my horse’s feet. Without them, she’d be just another lame, unridable “navicular” horse. @IIIBarsV contributed loads and loads, too.

And so many other things that I can’t remeber! I’m sure @manesntails and @MuckMuck have taught me a ton!

But the only specific thing I can remember from @manesntails is how to spell definitely. :p

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Oh! And @Peanut Palomino was a huge help as Brandi and I ventured into barrel racing.

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

@Arem , it's those simple things in life lolol!!! Glad I could help you learn how to cinch up, it's easy peasy, I've almost taught my 4 yo daughter to do it, she's not quite tall or strong enough tho :p

I've learned that some folks think they know everything. And it's like arguing with a brick wall. :crazy2:

I learned that there's always someone who has been through or is going through things like you are, you're not alone. :loveflag:

I've learned what anime is.

I've learned Australia has some critters I don't want to encounter:eek2:

I've learned I can do hooves myself, I just need to take time to begin it. :rolleyes:

I've made some lifelong friends here, some who are no longer here, but stay in touch on Facebook.

And, I've learned that everyone is doing this horse thing wrong, according to Riosdad.(y)
    :rofl:

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@Faster Horses - thank you!!!

I've learnt quite a bit here too.

@JBandRio Started me down my saddle fitting journey a million years ago.....I never thought it would go as far as it has....it is part of my career now.

farmeress isn't here anymore, but she opened my eyes up to so much about position and timing of aids. That was a game changer for my entire riding & teaching career!

@PiaffePony0412 opened my eyes up to a different style or training. A style that isn't really all that different from what I do - but also not the same. :)

I know so many others have taught me so much as well, but I'm just drawing a blank at the moment.

It's a nice community when every plays nice in the sand box. I'm not a fan of sand in the eyes, though I've learnt others enjoy that part of the sand box most. Lol

6. CowCatcher

CowCatcher Senior Member

Lots of good stuff on here. It reminds me there's a bigger world out there than just what I'm used to seeing everyday.

I've learned plenty but the latest thing that comes to mind came from @manesntails in the stall behavior post. The way she explained made perfect sense. Id been around horses who were used to being in stalls, ones who been outside but never really accustomed a horse who was used to being outside to inside.
    So I made my colts routine being in and behaving in a stall. Saddling, unsaddling groomin, eating their pellets, relaxing before getting turned back after a ride.
    So simple its brilliant. I was over thinking it...as usual...lol
    :idea: :idea::idea:

7. rhinebeck

rhinebeck Senior Member

So much this! It’s a shame they are no longer around.

@BluemoonOKy for opening my eyes up to different feeds and alternatives. As well as @DelP

@manesntails for many times training advice and a book of knowledge

To everyone who helped me with my mare when she gored her leg on something all the way down to topicals that heal wonderfully (woundade equaide)

And those who have been around for me to read threads and learn many different ways to adapt training

8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

@Chester helped me a ton on my eq in the critique threads and same with @manesntails who said 'work smart not hard' :p Still remember that advice and regularly remind myself of it while riding.

tlwidener, Acornicus, ginster and 3 others like this.
  9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

Oh!! And I've also learned that no matter how much @Arem or @PamelaTX or all the others try to explain color genetics....... nope! Nurp! Nah, neva gone get it.

(n):crazy::rolleyez:

That's why we have a sub forum for colors and genetics. :D

10. LoveTrail

LoveTrail Senior Member

Learned to look harder at the feed my horse was getting. How to get him in the best condition. Made me look more into hind gut ulcers online and figured out he had them. Helped me become a more effective rider.

tlwidener, ginster, Pony123 and 2 others like this.