Thin hair, flaky skin on my OTTB

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by bkat, May 10, 2017.

1. bkat

bkat Registered

Hey all! I read multiple posts on this but wanted to get some fresher feedback. I am noticing my fairly new OTTB having a bunch of flaky skin buildup in certain areas. I notice it on his shoulders, neck, and legs especially. Mostly around old scabs and wounds that are growing back hair. He is still shedding his winter coat and its gotten much thinner and more sparse in areas. I have a photo you can kind of compare to the horse beside him (he is on the left) and the mark on his shoulder barely has any hair...just long, thin hair. You can also tell he is losing hair on his face, and is missing a lot of hair on his bum beside his tail and under his legs. Also I may add I rescued him and he came in a poor state, he is still very underweight.

I've never seen him itch and he doesn't seem bothered by it. I only use antifungal medicated shampoo on him and have only bathed him 3 times since I got him in April so over bathing isnt the issue...we recently switched his feed and saw he wasn't gaining any so we put him back on the stuff he was fine with before and showing good results.

Could it just be a buildup of skin from shedding? I'm hoping his thin hair will shed out and he'll grow a nice summer coat =/ I created a DIY skin serum with baby oil and vitamin E which I've had luck with in the past for great coats but I'm worried he's going to shed out all his hair and be bald! (Crazy, but new horse mom problems) I also heard using Apple Cider Vinegar works for this.

ANY KIND OF FEEDBACK would be great! Sorry for the not so great photo...just imagine a lot of dandruff build up and thin hair loss. fff.jpg

2. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

What are you feeding? Hard to say if it's nutritional when we don't know what he's getting.

His coat does look pretty coarse and flaky compared to the other guy. Have you talked to your vet about it? It could be a lot of things - an allergy, poor nutrition, a fungus. Honestly, I'd start with the vet and go from there.

If the vet gives the all clear, I've used this stuff - Product Information - for several years now with excellent results. It's marketed as being good for hooves (as well as gut health) but it also produces very soft, healthy coats and significant growth of manes and tails.

gaitedboomer likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, have you bathed him and washed his face? Horses sweat, that releases salts which build up with dirt and clog pores which inhibits hair from growing.

Also, lack of omega three fatty acids inhibits skin and hair lubricants and causes flaky dry skin, thin, dull hair and delayed hair growth.

The horse needs a hair/ coat supplement and a bath, paying attention to washing and drying the face. Whenever I got a race horse who had dull thin hair and missing hair on his face, he wasn't bathed after he sweat during exercise, and he was fed crap.

4. bkat

bkat Registered

I just bathed him the day before I took the photo and noticed the nasty build up. I always make sure to rinse off the shampoo real well! I want him on a supplement but my trainer recommended I wait.

5. bkat

bkat Registered

They are calling in the vet by the end of the month! He will be receiving some VACCs and I'll have him looked at. He is currently being fed a senior feed (forgot the brand) with beet pulp and rice bran. However they tried him on an all natural feed that had good results in weight gain but we didn't notice any change so now he is back on the senior. He had minor flakyness and thin hair on the senior but with the new food it seems to be 10x worse! Wondering if now that he is back on the normal stuff it will calm down a bit.

6. manesntails

You wait and you end up with a horse with no hair on their face. The dry skin may clear up with better feed, but the head is always in the sun and wind and the hair is thinner, less body fat on the head also to carry oil to the hair folicles.
    Every single time the horse sweats, wash the face with warm water and towel it dry. Don't leave the face wet. Use just water, no soap. You need to rinse the salty sweat off. Soap dries the skin. Buy some Shoglo at TSC. Put that in the feed. Most barns will add a supplement you buy for your horse.

CJ likes this.
  7. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Can you compare the ingredients of the two and see if somethings missing or depleted in the worse- performing one?
    ShoGlo ro something simple is an easy add. Calf Mana comes in small bags if you want to try that. I liked it & Animax (purina version) when I used them.
    The Easiest add is probably a shot of corn- or vegetable oil to the feed. Its cheap, easy to get anywhere, a few calories, fatty acids, and good for the skin and coat when shedding, and in general. We used to see oil-of-choice sales surge in the tack store and early spring, a lil before show season started,a s people were trying to shed out winter wool and get a nice shiny show coat going.

8. manesntails

The only thing with the corn oil is that some horses get loose stools from it.

9. Larkspade

Larkspade Full Member

I've heard brewers yeast is a great hoof and coat supplement and I've seen what it has done to a friends horse. Let's just say SHINEY!!!

Melanie Falls likes this.
  10. Melanie Falls

Melanie Falls Registered

Have you tried an Omega 3 supplement? Omega fatty acids are known to support skin and coat health. My favorite source of these are chia seeds and camelina oil. I have several customers who have horses with dry flaky skin and have reported great success (I own a store that sells natural care products for horses- see signature). My own horse (in the picture) is on Chia seeds and he is doing very well (and shiny as you can see). Do beware with Corn Oil- it will make your horse shiny but also is inflammatory so not always great in the long-term. Dr. Juliet Getty (renowned equine nutritionist) wrote a great article on this- check it out for more info:
    Omega 3 Supplements – the Old and the New