They night I learned my mare was a bad***

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by palogal, Jul 3, 2018.

1. palogal

palogal Senior Member

So here I am nice peaceful ride, doing some hill work after the heat of the day was gone. Hanging out with my mare. Out of nowhere a horrendous wind picks up. Like a batten down the hatches, you're about to get smacked with a storm kind of wind. Dust flying everywhere I decide to end my ride while I can still breathe and a huge dust devil starts to blow across the field a midst this wind that has her mane flying everywhere, my ponytail wrapping around my face, and blowing dirt all over us. It's going to cross our path about 5 feet in front of her nose. I am now suddenly aware of my own mortality. Do I jump off, do I ride it out...it kept coming closer.

I took a deep breath and...

She snorted a few times and stared at it as it went into the trees and was gone.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Cool~!! My kind of horse~!!
    I think people forget that horses have dealt with weather, bad weather, more than we have, as they stay out in it, (usually prefer to, rather than run inside) while we prefer to head for cover.

GONE ROPING, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  3. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I felt the need to check my pants. She just kinda went on with her day. Reality check

4. manesntails

I was riding along a tree line one time. Open field to my left, dense wooded area to my right, and a huge Turkey flew out of the tree just feet in front of us. Lots of flapping and branches hitting together as the Turkey flew off over our heads making for a large shadow passing over.

My QH just took a couple steps to the side, looked off to his right and kept walking. Same with the QH I got for free, (they were going to put him down for a hock injury) which I got sound and sold to a lady who lived in an airplane community. First plane that took off behind him and flew low over his head, he just side stepped, looked and walked on.

Probably thought it was a big bird. :rofl:

5. palogal

palogal Senior Member

LOL one of my geldings does not bird. He is TERRIFIED of chickens due to a bad encounter with one. It was asleep in his field, he picked it up and shook the snot out of it, bird woke up and was unamused and chased him (17H 1200 lbs) in to a corner and would not let him out, while I laughed so hard I could barely breathe....then later he sniffed a peacock and it shot it's tail feathers at him....he tried to go about 10 directions at once. I would not have fared well with this turkey situation.

6. manesntails

Actually, the horse I rode in the Turkey incident, had been terrified of chicken.

So, I let my chickens and my Guineas roam his field every day. In no time, he got used to them to the point my Guineas could chase one another in and out his legs while he stood and ate hay~!! :rofl:

Birds? No problem~!!

StraightandTrue and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. WesternRider22

WesternRider22 Full Member

Laughing so hard! HAHA:rofl:

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've never been close to anything like that. Seen them from a hill etc. Was that dangerous in your opinion? We get microbursts and tornadoes, didn't think dust devils were *really* dangerous, but that surrounding weather makes me go hmm.

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Nah probably not actual danger. We would have been filthy if it actually hit us. I was more worried she would bolt or otherwise overreact.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Larkspade

Larkspade Senior Member

My mare is not so bad***. we where just getting done with a ride, and I was walking along the pasture, when suddenly, the wind picks up and dust, dirt, and loos hay goes spiraling towards us. she wasn't super freaked out until it was almost doneo_O. and of course I was bareback too

GONE ROPING and manesntails like this.