They gave me a horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by billz, Nov 26, 2018.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

That sounds cheap. I'm workin' on $1500 for this week.

2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Yikes. It's times like these I really appreciate owning my own place and not boarding. I'm looking to get a project horse to resell/flip and figured out it'll cost me $50 a month for hay/supplements, and then adding in dewormer, consignment fee and fuel and shots if needed (and crossing my fingers that nothing goes wrong like always does) ...it'll cost around $600-$700 total for me to have it for 7ish months. Thankfully I do my own trimming so that is some money saved (but I am sure the damage to my back is actually much money lost). Horses are spendy, but cheaper than a therapist!!

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. billz

billz Full Member

I enjoyed a nice day in the barn on Saturday. I completed a lot of house keeping while taking advantage of the weather to spend a little extra time "horsing around." I really pleased to have the stall cleaned from top to bottom. It was getting a little grody.

I was able to ride for almost an hour and I'm looking forward to the end of "mud season" so we can get outside and hit the trail. The Barn Owner and I visited for a little, while I was riding, and she was quite complementary on our riding. I was flattered by those compliments but was blown away when the BO offered to give me another horse. The gelding in question is a 7 year old sorrel quarter horse that stands 15.1 and would be much more capable of carrying me on trail rides as well as matching my dream of a stocky well muscled breed. I jokingly mentioned that we would have to trade because I can't afford two "free" horses. The more I thought about our conversation, the more interested I became.

Afterwards, I went out into the field to visit with the gelding that she was referring to and he seemed to be a nice boy. Before I could commit to an exchange, I'd need some time to work him in the round pen and get an idea for his manners as well as some saddle time to verify that he's not a "head case." My early opinion is that this would be a good trade for both of us because she wants a lesson horse and I wants a trail horse. I'm playing it cool for now because I don't know how serious she was in her offer so I'll wait to see if she brings it up again...

Let's ride!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Alsosusieq2, peg4x4 and Dona Worry like this.
  4. billz

billz Full Member

I had a real hard time sleeping last night and, if I'm being honest with myself, I'll admit that its because of the idea of swapping horses with my BO. I've been thinking about this a lot since Saturday. Too much, in fact. Almost to a point of obsession. Not good. I need to stay focused on the horse that I have and relationship that we've been building. "Be present in the now."

Augustus McCrae would say:
    "If you want only one thing too much, it's likely to turn out to be a disappointment."

I'm excited to be riding again and that ought to be enough. Having been given this gift means way more to me that simply being partners with a horse. I need to honor that partnership and come to the arena with the proper mindset; be present in the now.

Let's ride!

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. billz

billz Full Member

Spent a nice evening with my mare last night. She was a muddy buddy after spending most of the day outside yesterday. I realized that it takes me almost 30 minutes to clean a nasty muddy horse. That doesn't leave a lot of time to ride on a "school night" so I just hung out and chatted with the BO while I helped feed. I am going to enjoy the longer days with more opportunities for getting outside.

Let's ride!

6. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Does your BO have too many horses or why is she just wanting to give them away for free? (n)

7. billz

billz Full Member

NBChoice,

I believe that my BO is looking for a lesson horse that would be suited to a younger student. The horse that the BO has is not being ridden and has developed some bad manners that a younger student wouldn't be able to address. It is significant to note that my mare has been used by this BO as a lesson horse before I acquired the horse. However, my BO didn't mention the idea of a trade last evening so I'm content to just let things stay as they are; if the BO brings it up again, we may have something to discuss.

It is my opinion that there are many BO that have had horses abandoned by owners that just don't want to be "bothered." Many of these "grade" horses are probably costing more than they're worth. I have heard of this scenario from multiple BOs that some irresponsible owners simply walk away from a boarding bill, particularly in winter, and then the BO ends up with the expense of an over-stocked farm full of horses that they are forced to feed or "carry" until they can sell the animal. This is how I ended up with the mare that I have now. The facility that I was boarding at helped me with my mare that died last November (different facility) and they knew that I would be interested in replacing her so they simply gave me a horse. The gift solved a problem for both of us; lightened their financial burden and I'm re-mounted.

Sad to think that some horse owners can be so callous or irresponsible...

8. billz

billz Full Member

Had a great ride yesterday. Took my girl out trail riding for the first time. Really, first time away from the barn and riding in a group. We rode for about 2.5 hours and it was pretty great. Funny thing about that group: the previous owner of my mare was part of the six people that we were riding with so we had a chance to chat. They know the first owner of my horse from when she was 10 months old. Small world situation that was pretty amazing. Even more complimentary was that they admired my mare, twice.

Let's ride!

9. billz

billz Full Member

I've been sitting here thinking about the trail ride we had last Sunday and feeling wonderment about my mare. I've ridden her about a dozen times, mostly in and around the barn and we went out for our first trail ride on Sunday morning. I just gotta brag on her some,...

I decided to switch into a smoother bosal for this ride because I found a great deal on a used bosal that was much less harsh than the one I was using. I don't know how to count the plaits on this bosal but the leather is wider and there are fewer plaits that lay much more smoothly so that it's much less severe. I took a gear bag with my spare snaffle bit as well as the first bosal that I had been using, just in case I had over-rated the progress we had made prior to the transition to the new bosal. She relaxed into that new bosal like it was the thing to have! What a champ! Never a balk or any challenge.

My girl was pretty excited when we arrived at Shaker Village here in Harrodsburg, KY and she was doing a little dancing around as she scented the air filled with the smells of the country as well as the dozen or so other horses that were in the parking lot gearing up. We were the last to mount up and I'll confess I was a little nervous because I hadn't taken her "out" into public before. We had to have a little talk, literally, when she wouldn't stand for me to mount. However, she began to settle down and everything was A-ok.

After about twenty minutes on the trail it became apparent to me that this girl is totally independent of those around her. She didn't care if she was first, last or somewhere in between within the group; she was completely unconcerned about her fellow riders and their mounts. She was extremely interested in everything else almost to a point of distraction. I felt like I was hiking with a six year old child instead of the 17 year old mare; she kept asking me, "did you see that!" "Oh, look over there!" It was really funny and charming up to a point, but never dangerous. She was very sure-footed and calm as we moved down the trail.

As we rode, the group asked, because of some less skilled riders, for permission to ease into a trot and my girl stepped right out with lots of "action" that someone else commented on as being very pretty. After almost two hours of riding with more than a little trot/jog work I expected her to become lethargic but she just kept coming back for more. In fact, she became more responsive to my aids and was still excited to be out and about.

At one point, after following the group for a few miles, I found myself in front and leading across a medium stream of rock strewn water and after a minor hesitation, she stepped out to lead the group through the water crossing. Didn't matter if we were first or last, she was just steady and solid all around.

Climbing the last hill to return to the parking lot began to show me she was feeling the strain of our "first ride" because she was blowing pretty hard but still very willing to charge up that hill. I dismounted about 100 yards from the parking lot and allowed her to walk the last part back to our trailer. Just a little cool down. What a champ!

10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

@billz Sounds fun! Any pics of the ride? Or of your pretty mare?
    We here love pictures!!