They gave me a horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by billz, Nov 26, 2018.

1. billz

billz Full Member

I went to the barn yesterday afternoon and horsed around some. We completed a little ground work and everything was perfect. Actually, I was just checking to verify that all Sierra's yields and leg movement was correct. She responded perfectly so we didn't spend any extra time on these elementary exercises.

After grooming I tacked up and used the mounting block for our next training exercise. I was able to ask Sierra to come to the mounting block with me but she wasn't interested in standing. Each time I "popped" the stirrups or leaned over the saddle, she rotated her body away from the block, 90° from me to prevent me from mounting. We worked on this for about ten minutes and she presented herself much more willingly. I feel that we'll need to continue to work on this concept a few more times to cement it into her training, but she has the idea.

I mounted from the block and we worked on a loose line (no reins/bridle) allowing her to walk where ever she wanted. I maintained contact with the lead rope from the saddle relying on the lead rope for my "emergency brake" if needed. We didn't have any issues and she carried me for almost thirty minutes. At one point, she took me back to the block and "suggested" that I dismount, so I did. I remounted from the ground, uneventfully and we continued. All went well until the facility manager showed up at 4:00 pm for evening feeding. I lost her attention because she was thinking about dinner so I decided to call it a day.

Very light weight work again on this day, just verifying that she's had all these lessons before and is ready for just about anything. I found a very nice full cheek snaffle bit that I dug out of the tack box and have attached it to a bridle that I'll use next time and we'll do some work on walk/jog transitions working our way up to lope.

The new boarding facilities include over 700 acres upon which boarders are allowed to ride so our goal is going to be to get outside and get some saddle time.

Hope y'all had a great weekend. Ride em'

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Tip her nose away, to the off side when you go to mount; she'll get the message.

3. billz

billz Full Member

Thanx, M

4. billz

billz Full Member

I went out to the barn this weekend, both Saturday and Sunday. I rode for almost an hour on Saturday but we took a day off on Sunday to just "be." Sunday was an alternate day in which I just sat in the round pen or we walked around together. Another boarder came out to ride in the area, around the outside of the round pen, and we all talked, the four of us; her horse and Sierra and she and I. The premise is to teach that grooming doesn't always mean riding and my presence isn't always about work. So, we sat, and talked and just enjoyed a few hours of being together.

On Saturday my wife Laura joined me and we cleaned the stall as well as chatted with the farm owner as well as one of the other boarders. It was really nice just to meet people without pretense and enjoy the company. I've never experienced that level of community without competitive edginess in the horse barn before. I was awed with both the owner and the other boarder offered my wife a horse to ride, "whenever" you would like to ride. I my opinion, there's no great vote of confidence or compliment than to have someone offer you their horse. Wow! Just,...wow!

Thanks for stopping by to read my ramblings. Let's ride!