They gave me a horse!

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by billz, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I believe there was an emotional aspect as they were involved in gifting their mare to them. It's not just drama for no reason, there was a real reason.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  2. billz

billz Full Member

We had a great weekend at the new barn. I visited both Saturday and Sunday to just be there; cleaned her stalled and loved on her some. The transition to the new place went very well and I feel really good about our new location. The facility is pretty low key and things feel good. I believe I will be able to get a lot of work done without anyone impeding our developing relationship. I'll be trying a new approach that is quite a bit different from the accepted methods.

It's my plan to employ a more cooperative approach reflected in the books by Mark Rashid. And I have registered to attend a clinic with Buck Brannaman next year that I'm pretty excited about too. I don't know if I'll be taking this mare or another horse that I'm destined to meet but as yet unknown to me. In any case, I'm changing my methods.

This is going to be so much fun.

3. billz

billz Full Member

5:30 pm and mostly dark, temperature was about 40°. I turned on the arena lights and used the round pen.

We had a good time in the barn last night. Well, I did. Sierra was a little rude about standing while grooming and after several attempts to clean up my "muddy buddy," she thought it was better to walk off while I was brushing her. So, I offered to encourage her walking off, inside the round pen, by urging her into a trot for a few minutes on both sides.

THAT didn't seem to be what she had in mind. We "played" this game three or four times until she understood that I was going to get her cleaned off and then she decided that maybe she'd stand while I lightly removed all those clumps of mud. Using a soft rubber brush, then a stiff bristled brush followed by a softer bristled brush and she was shining pretty good and standing through all of it by the end. I finished off by picking her feet.

Best part of the evening was that when I'd return to the grooming tote that hangs on the fence to switch brushes, she'd follow me. My goal at this point is to establish a quiet relationship of mutual trust. She's still a little uneasy when I brush her bottom line and I'm wondering if this has anything to do with ulcers or upset stomach. I wonder if it's an internal things because I can't find anything externally. She is very "cinchy" when saddling and this type of flinching while brushing seems to indicate a potential problem. What that problem might be, I can't tell yet, but I intend to groom her a few more times and see if the issue is about trust and where I'm touching her or if she has some pain issues that are worrying her.

Time will reveal more as we progress together.

4. billz

billz Full Member

I had a short visit at the barn last night. Sierra and I completed some ground work that seemed like old school for her. Simple cross-over work and she was completely unfazed by my bumbling attempts. We only had 20 minutes before the dark settled in and I couldn't see my feet, therefore, I couldn't see her feet to know what we were accomplishing. She was quiet and compliant the entire time and I decided that we'd done enough for one night and quit on that good note. Afterwards, I hung over the gate of her stall while she munched a little hay and we just spent a few minutes together, just being.

I read recently that you need to give yourself the gift of time. I have also read that someone once asked Ray Hunt how long it takes to train a horse? To which it was reported that he replied, "It takes what it takes." I think these two ideas are the same: take all the time you need and don't rush. Hanging over that gate late night felt good. We're in this adventure together for the long haul.

Hope y'all had a good night in the barn...see ya.

manesntails and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Ough, RAY HUNT~!!
    I met him in person at a horse Expo in Jacksonville Florida.

I saw him sitting by himself at a table outside the arena. Upon laying eyes on him I threw up my arms and exclaimed: “Ray Hunt, you are one of my horsemanship Gods~!!“ and threw my arms around his neck.

He got so tickled that I thought he was going to pee his pants~!! He said I made his day~!!

6. palogal

palogal Senior Member

There should have ( if there was not) been a contract stating that she can do as she feels best for the horse. If there are emotional ties involved, she should not have given her the horse. Once the owner gives up possession, gifted or not, they no longer call the shots. Boarding is a business and has to be treated as such for the success of the business.

mooselady likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

She's a he.

Unless some woman named her daughter Bill. :ROFLMAO:

8. Alsosusieq2

Certainly but.. people are only human.

9. palogal

palogal Senior Member

True enough, but not the new owner’s problem.

10. Alsosusieq2

Of course, but the same thing applies. There would be a character trait called being beholden, you have to overcome that. They are, but it does show their good character.