Therapeutic Pads and Blankets

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Feb 6, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

Does anyone like the leg wraps/training boots? I really don't use boots right now, but I saw some used BOT ones for $40, and saw the TT ones at Greenhawk are on sale for $44...

I do not need any more tack. I do not need any more tack. I do not need anymore tack...

Aside from the saddle pads and the stable sheets/blankets, what is the one product (whatever brand) you think everyone should have in their barn? Training boots? Quick wrap? Hat/mask?

2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

CARP!!! I totally forgot! I have a pair of those BoT training boots too! Got them when they 1st came out cause I loved the design of them and they were way way less than the competing boots of similar style/cut, plus they had an introductory special......yeah I caved. I honestly don't need any more boots, but still find myself looking. lol

They work. I can tell you Fezza's legs were tighter when I used them than my DSB's. That said, I only used them in the winter. I have my DSB's or Stretch & Flex for the summer, Equifits for spring & fall, and then the BoT's for winter........yeah like seriously I have a problem eh?

3. barrel_racer64

Well like I said, I really don't use boots right now, but I'm finding these therapeutic things to be a new obsession and if I weren't so cheap I would probably have one of everything... Hubby would ban me from ever buying anything ever again though. And the only thing I have used so far is the Moxie LT sheet...:help::help: But... I am seriously contemplating on finding some leg boots and/or something else that is "Practical" that I would actually use. I actually have a BOT pad liner lined up to buy, but I'm contemplating if I should get some boots instead since I'll have the Fenwick pads. :help:I AM OUT OF CONTROL!:help:

In the PPE, my dad's new horse flexed a little sore in the left hock, and possibly a little sore over the loin/hip on the left side (I'm wondering if its connected to the hock soreness in some way @Rhythm 'n Blues ) so the whole time the vet is looking at him (the loin/hip soreness was the first thing that kind of showed up but it was very minor) I'm thinking, I wonder if we should get a sheet, loin pad, or a saddle pad for him to see if we can't get that soreness worked out... And then the hock flexed slightly sore so then I went to, well lets get him some hock boots! Problem is, he isn't at my house and I don't think my BIL/Sister would love going out to take the hock boot on/off every day.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

While not a vet, I believe it’s more common for the hock to cause issues higher up than higher up causing issues in the hock.

That said, saddle fit can seriously affect the back, and 100% the stifles & hocks take a hit. I’ve seen it over and over again, but when this happens the back looks odd..........at least to my eye. Odd in a way like “oh the horse has a nice neck......the hind end isn’t horrible (but not great)....and then in the middle you’re like well WTH?? Where did all the muscle go?!?!

So providing the back looks good - and I’m assuming you would have mentioned something like that. I’m going with hock affection hip.

If this horse wears a blanket.....then go with a Fenwick LT sheet that they can just put under the blanket & no work-up is needed like the BoT. I’d also go with some hock wraps that they can put on while their grooming before & after tacking up. Even just a little bit of time before & after should have an affect :)

5. barrel_racer64

I figured since there was hock soreness it was probably creating the back soreness. He doesn't wear a blanket right now, I have my Moxie LT sheet, but since I re-sized it to fit my personal horses, its probably too small, and I'm not about to let him wear it uncovered! I'm definitely going to look into the hock boots, even a little bit should help I imagine. I *might* even let them borrow one of my Fenwick pads when they arrive. Maybe. Otherwise, I'm lined up to buy a BOT liner... (how am I to know which I like better if I can't compare, right?? That's going to be my argument if hubby asks anyway..) I might let them borrow it. I do have the LT fabric scraps I can play around with as well, and am going to make a wrap out of part of it, so at the very least we may be able to put that on him and see if it helps at all.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  6. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member

Put in my order to Fenwick, figured for that price they're worth a try! @barrel_racer64 I think you broke them - it now says Western pads not included in the BOGO! :eek:

7. barrel_racer64

That is so crazy!! Glad I ordered when I did! Out of curiosity, I hopped on and looked but didn't see any exclusions? They must have been unimpressed that I ordered both of mine to be the Western LT...

8. Hackatit

Hackatit Full Member

I bought a Benefab poll pad from Smartpak recently. I gotta say, it's doing its job. You can defiantly feel its warmth before I even put it on the horse, and it's WARM after a ride. I think the mare likes how it gives her poll a little extra padding, and she's not stiff at all in the poll. Also she's not as mad when I bridle her or touch her head... just a thought :whistle:;)

9. barrel_racer64

Anyone that has ordered in the US, how long did it take to get your stuff from Fenwick? I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my LT saddle pads... I got an email that they were supposed to ship Feb. 9 and I was hoping they would be here by now... The wait is killing me!!!

10. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member

The exclusion only showed up at the very end of the order process, when you get to the comment section.