Therapeutic Pads and Blankets

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by barrel_racer64, Feb 6, 2018.

1. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread that is specifically about the different companies that offer the therapeutic saddle pads and horse blankets (among other products), and for those who are familiar with them to tell about some of the benefits and their personal experiences with them. I know that Back on Track is the main big company that we all hear about, but I know there are some other companies that are coming out with stuff as well, I know Benefab and Fenwick Farm are two smaller companies that I've heard about.

@Rhythm 'n Blues your my go-to data base on these things!
    @Lopinslow and @endurgirl and @txgray I know I've seen some of you posting about them as well.

If anyone knows of sales going on for whatever company/products, we could probably post them here as well!

I'll start us off:
    Back On Track
    Fenwick Farms
    Benefab

endurgirl likes this.
  2. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

When I placed my SLT order last week, the BoT mesh sheets were $198 on sale. I don't know if they still are.

As far as my opinions on them: it's too hot in Georgia for year round use of the BoT mesh sheet. I've been putting it on Chloe lately, because i paid for it, might as well use it. Even with it being winter, and probably in the high 60s, she sweats on her shoulders where it's not mesh, so I know she'll be too hot year round, which is why I also bought the Fenwick. I haven't used it much, but you can tell it's so much lighter.

Is it just blankets we're allowed to talk about? Lol. I will say I don't really have any soreness issue with my horses, so can't tell much of a difference with the blanket treatment.

However, I have used the BoT quick wraps, and they definitely did help with swelling/ stocking up. Just got the hock boots, no review on those yet, as again, I don't have hock problems, but wanted to be proactive when Chloe or Tex goes back into full work, and my young horses.

I love the BoT socks!!!!! They keep my feet warm and comfy, I wear them after my bath and to bed until I take them off in my sleep. :rofl:

I also have the mini blanket and regular blanket of BoT, I sleep with them every night, even travel with my mini blanket, roll it up behind my back on long drives or wrap around my shoulders when they're sore. I also have the BoT gloves for finger pain, they work ok.

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I have BOT no bows, sheet, neck cover and head cap. I have seen improvement from them, and April loves her sheet. Actually gets mad sometimes when I go to take it off. Lol

We call the head cap, her thinking cap... although I don't think it was working during our last 2 rides. Lol

4. barrel_racer64

Lol, definitely not limited to just blankets! I have been dying to get either a BOT or Fenwick western pad to see if it will help my cold-backed loper, Hope (who will hopefully learn to lope off normal...) so that may have influenced the thread title/topic.

I have a Moxie Equestrian (basically the same thing as Fenwick, just the company that was before Fenwick was born) Liquid Titanium stable blanket (its definitely quite thin and breathable) that I bought for The Ol Man to try and get him more comfortable. I think it helped since he was moving better when I saw him 2-3 days after I put it on. That is one nice thing about the LT/Fenwick over the BOT, its safe to leave them on 24/7. I didn't see much difference with it on Hope though, she wore it under her regular blanket for about a month and I haven't noticed much difference either way. Partly why I was thinking about trying a BOT western pad liner since its different.

endurgirl likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Oh sheesh....yes I admit to having way way too much of all this stuff! Here’s my list:

BOT Horse stuff: mesh sheet, neck cover, 4 quick wraps, 3-4 saddle pads, 6 of the old school blue no bows, loin rug & halter fuzzies
    BOT Human stuff: socks, gloves, neck wrap, 2 long sleeve shorts, 1 T-shirt, 1 polo shirt, cotton sheet that I’ve cut up to make many other horse things (line show saddle pads, line my bonnets, etc)

Fenwick Liquid Titanium Stuff: sheet, neck/face slinky, cap/mask (aka Happy Hat), 4 quick wraps, 2 pairs TMJ wraps, 3 saddle pads + 2 more to sell.

Benefab: 1 pole pad

So I’ve known about BoT much longer, and most of my stuff I get on clearance at trade shows. I met the owner of Fenwick 2 August’s ago - she is lovely! I really prefer the Liquid Titanium stuff, but it will take me some time to grow my collection. The Benefab one I got from a friend - haven’t noticed any huge difference with it over the BoT halter fuzzy/pole pad though.

The owner of Fenwick use to work for Moxie, so that’s why there’s similarities. Fenwick has a few different lines of stuff, most of which look and feel fantastic in quality (yes I’ve felt it all lol). I REALLY prefer the Fenwick saddle pads over the BoT ones - way way nicer quality, materials and the horses sweat way less. I also don’t mind the BoT stuff for the winter, but in the summer, even in Canada, BoT stuff is just too hot. Fez never sweats in Fenwick stuff - even when he’s nekkid in his stall he’s sweating, but doesn’t where the Fenwick stuff touches him. Hence why I’m totally sold on it & slowly growing my collection - not that I need much more.....unless I end up with something with hock, knee, or stifle issues....holly I did not just junior myself - knocking on wood like made!!!

endurgirl and barrel_racer64 like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I have the BoT saddle pad too, forgot that lol, but I do see some increased flexibility when they wear it.

I want the shirt, hoping to lose weight tho first. @Rhythm 'n Blues what do you like about your shirt?

7. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

And next on my to buy list is the Fenwick mask. :D

8. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Ahhh...I will be honest, I am a weird person when it comes to BoT stuff. I can't wear it all day unless I'm out at the farm or actually being active. If I wear it when I'm working a desk job or just lounging around the house I will end up so drained, lazy, with a head ache and just completely listless. I tested it a few times and same thing each & every time. Took me a bit to realize it was the shirt, but I can feel it coming on now, so as soon as I feel that, I have to go take it off.

So I do like it, but like I said, only if I'm out being active doing stuff will I wear it all day.

9. barrel_racer64

I've about convinced myself I should get the BOT and the Fenwick saddle pads, so that I will know which one I will like better.:idea::idea::idea:

I've wanted a Fenwick "happy hat" as long as I have known about them, but its on the list of the unjustified... I do actually have the liquid titanium ladies t-shirt that I got for a crazy good deal, but haven't gotten around to trying it out yet. I really should wear it sometime...

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I wasnt a huge fan of the BOT stuff. I would love to try a PHT sheet. (and yes, I tried the BOT stuff on myself). I got rid of the BOT sheet, but I kept the saddle pad. I just use it as a pad liner to keep my pads clean lol I'm doubtful that it actually does much.,

There is also the Hansbo products now.