The worst thing to come home to.....having to put down your horse.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by meljean, Feb 2, 2019.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Oddly enough, those green hay huts have gotten horses inside them as well I think. Yep...Horse trapped in hay hut freed by Goodwill VFC

doublelranch likes this.
  2. meljean

meljean Senior Member

3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Not only dealing with hay shortage from drought this winter, but I am also dealing with one of the wettest and most muddy winters. Putting hay on my ground right now just goes to total waste.

4. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I remember years ago, when I worked on the track. We had this one horse who was a wee bit loopy. I came in to feed one morning and he had his leg caught in the stall door. These doors were basically metal grates that swung outward and there was technically no gap between the door and the stall wall - it was designed to overlap to prevent such circumstances.

He managed to lodge his hind leg in there so well that he made it absolutely impossible to remove the chain closure and open the door - the way his weight was pressed on the chain created some type of insane tension. It's hard to describe. We couldn't remove the door itself without him panicking at the noise of the tools, so we had to wait for a vet to show up. Oddly enough, he was completely calm just hanging out, as long as we didn't try to help him.

Vet showed up and went, "holy h-ll. Even if we cut his leg off and tried to recreate this problem, we couldn't."

Horse was sedated, we took the door off and aside from a couple scratches around his leg, he was completely sound on it. We got extremest lucky, but man, can horses get themselves into unbelievable situations.

Alsosusieq2, Binca, mooselady and 2 others like this.
  5. Bebe

Bebe Full Member

How terribly sad for all concerned. Condolences to the family. Darn.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Eh... Horses are stupid. They'll kill themselves on just about anything.

I've never wanted to use hay rings, but I do use a big standing hay feeder; it's like a hay rack. I'm sure a gifted horse could find a way to maim itself on it.

They come into the world looking for a way to leave it.

mymarespet likes this.
  7. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

There is no reason to use a feeder like that when you can get these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Except price.

equinitis, JStorry and Dream27 like this.
  9. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Some things are worth spending the money.... obviously. You can't ALWAYS be cheap.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. sherian

sherian Senior Member

availibilty - I think the only place I have seen those advertised here is a store in Winnipeg - it could be a 5 hour drive to go get one for a lot of people, and when the feeder is twice the cost of a locally available metal one that hurts. My area was hit hard this year with a severe hay shortage and price as much as tripled - so people are scrambling to do what they can to make it through, so ideal is getting sacrificed for the best we can manage, not because people are "cheap"

JStorry likes this.