The worst thing to come home to.....having to put down your horse.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by meljean, Feb 2, 2019.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

The owners of this horse have given me permission to tell their story so that others will be cautious when using these rings.

They returned home to find the husband's horse caught inside a hayring feeder. This was sold as a horse product.

In accordance with their wishes, I am using only two photos, showing how badly horse was caught, leg was broken beyond repair in her efforts to get free during time she was trapped in it. Horse was put down by the owners, they could not wait for the vet to arrive, the injury was so bad.

These feeders are used all over in their area, they themselves have used for 20 years and never had known of this happening. The last photo is of the feeder are after he cut it apart to remove his horse's body.

There are so many of these types of feeders or something very similar, and I have seen photos of other horses caught up in them. And even without a ring, just this past week there was photo on FB of a horse with its head caught up under a hay net over a round bale.

hayring feeder killed horse leg 1.jpg hayring feeder killed horse leg.jpg hayring feeder killed horse.jpg

doublelranch, ginster and manesntails like this.
  2. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Oh that poor thing. How heartbreaking. So sorry for the owners. :(

3. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

meljean and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. RusticR

RusticR Senior Member+

We had a yearling gelding get stuck in one of those years ago. It had an open bottom like yours but the top looked like the one in the original post. He must’ve rolled and got stuck under it on the outside.

He got stuck everywhere though... he had a nose for trouble that one. Plus side he got frequently stuck so he would just stand/lay there and didn’t struggle. He never hurt himself and he got stuck in odd spots around our farm probably a dozen times...

meljean, manesntails and mooselady like this.
  6. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Very sad and freak accident, horses can find the vulnerable point and damage themselves, heart breaking.

meljean likes this.
  7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

So sad.

I agree, I don't like those types of feeders.

8. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

OMG the pictures make me cringe :cry:

9. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

We had one in the past as well, our gelding Terry slit his lower eyelid open week before Christmas, vet came out and sewed him back up in the wee, very cold, hours of the night. Threw it away soon afterwards...not worth something like this happening, and if our horses throw hay all over the place, so be it. Rather that then the very unfortunate and tragic accident like what we saw.

Thanks Meljean for alerting us to this. And please, extend my condolences to your friends on the loss of their horse.

meljean and ginster like this.
  10. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

How awful. That poor horse.