The Ultimate De-shedder?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by cadance, Mar 15, 2017.

1. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I like the one with five rings of hacksaw metal. And don't forget you can swivel the handle 180 degrees and use the other side when the one side gets dull. They last forever.

wpgrider likes this.
  2. miscetera

miscetera Senior Member

Another vote for the large round metal curry, with the pumice block for face and legs.

3. cadance

cadance Senior Member

Well, I already have everything everyone has mentioned so sounds like I'm all set. Was just wondering if the Groom Ninja or sleekEZ were worth the $$. Both horses have fairly fine winter coats so I guess I'm better off saving the cash toward something more important.

LoveTrail and manesntails like this.
  4. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

I find this guy easier to use than the longer shedding blade too!

BroadaxJuniorMint likes this.
  5. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I like to just show up at the barn with lip gloss on. Suddenly, every horse is shedding in my direction.

NaeNae, mygirl1197, Mule.girl and 8 others like this.
  6. Barrelracer318

Barrelracer318 Senior Member

I prefer a regular shedding blade over sleekez. I think they work just as well, if not better. I have comparison videos on my computer if I'm able to find them later. The sleekez rust very easily. We clean the sleekez off every single time and it stored in a dry place and it rusted in under a year. Our shedding blades are disgusting and have never rusted. I'm sure it depends on your horse but we tried a couple different farrier rasps and it did absolutely nothing... I will always go with a shedding blade over anything else. Plus, it doubles as a sweat and mud scrape on the other side!

mooselady likes this.
  7. Baboo

Baboo Senior Member

I am trying the Groom Ninja for the first time this year. My horses aren't really in full shedding mode yet (unfortunately) but so far I quite like it. I find the shape easy to handle, and the size is good for getting into the nooks and crannies so to speak. I won't really be able to give a final assessment until the shedding is more under way, but my experience to date has been positive. The blade is slightly angled as mentioned before, and I don't find that hair clumps up in it - just falls out without having to pull it out as I have found with many shedding blades.
    DSCN3371.JPG DSCN3370.JPG

8. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Didn’t someone do a recent blog post of shedding tools? @txgray maybe?

9. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

I agree with it coming off when its ready. Unfortunately the horse shoe art and subsequently rasp art has taken off here and people are buying them like crazy.

I like the BBQ cleaning blocks sometimes sold as a bot egg removal aid, its like a lava rock.

I would love to "try before you by" the rubber block looking strip hair. I have tried finding similar piece of rubber to use but to no luck

10. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

2 other boarders have the Strip Hair system. I have to say they work great. I really do see a difference in the horses coats.

Definitely on my list of must haves.