The Ultimate De-shedder?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by cadance, Mar 15, 2017.

1. cadance

cadance Senior Member

Hey everyone, my horses are shedding early this year thanks to a VERY early spring in Colorado, and it's left me wanting to try a new shredder. I have a Furminator, but the handle broke off a few years ago. I have a shed flower, but don't feel like going in circles for an hour. I pretty much have every shedding tool other than the new stuff like SleekEZ and the Groom Ninja and would like to try one. Any experience with these? Thoughts?

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I have a knock off version of the SleekEZ and it is very good, don't know if it is better than my trusty old shedding blade

[​IMG]
    I like that I can use that as a scraper after bathing as well, so it is a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

Bebe, NaeNae, TheSnowLeopard and 2 others like this.
  3. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

I actually really like my SleekEz. I don't know if it's any better really than a regular shedding blade but the plus is that it's a lot easier on my hands. I have enormous hands and the little handle on the regular shedding blades just hurts after about 2 minutes of serious shedding. I have the big version of the SleekEz and it's definitely not as bad on my hands. I also find that the hair bunches up on the SleekEz instead of falling all over you like with the shedding blade.
    I really like those little black stone grooming blocks for faces and legs, shedding or prepping for shows.

mygirl1197 likes this.
  4. cadance

cadance Senior Member

Good info...I have one of the shedding loops/blades as posted above. I did spend a minute on the phone with the Groom Ninja owner and he explained that the teeth on the blade are angled backward as to prevent buildup. Has anyone used it?

Guess I'm looking for unbiased proof of this and don't want to spend $30+ on something that's the same as what I already have.
    Things I've used: furminator, shed block/stone, shed flower, shedding blades of all types, metal curry, plastic or soft curry, even this bada$$ combo curry from Weaver [​IMG]

5. XxLiveToRidexX

XxLiveToRidexX Senior Member

I like my SleekEZ better than the traditional shedding blade.

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You can only get off what's ready to come off, so there really isn't an ultimate shedding tool. I wouldn't spend 30 bucks on a shedding tool when a used rasp does the same for free. Most carriers will give you one of their worn out rasps just to get rid of it.

Alsosusieq2, NaeNae, nixalba and 3 others like this.
  7. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

The sleakez is pretty meh on my horse. Worked on one but not the other last year, the one it didn't work on I curried everything off easy peasy.

I much prefer a rubber curry + shedding blade to get everything off.

Arem and D_BaldStockings like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I like the SleekEZ but I also like the $2.00 pumice blocks. Not as easy on my hands but works just as well.

slick_n_easy_horse_grooming_block.jpg

Arem, tlwidener and savethewhaley like this.
  9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You know that all those are are grill cleaning blocks cut down into little slices, don't ya?

bellalou likes this.
  10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

A 'fish scaler' round metal curry,and elbow grease. These 'll get the hair out, although they hang onto it too. The round plastic version cleans out easier, quick finger run or a couple good bangs.
    [​IMG]

wpgrider likes this.