The Start of a New Chapter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Sep 1, 2018.

1. sunrisegurl146

sunrisegurl146 Senior Member

I was wondering if you got hit with that "lovely" warm spell.

I'm between Ottawa and Toronto on the 401 corridor and man it's been crazy. We've had the most flooding we've ever seen at our home. Came out to a foot of water in our garage which never happens.

My barn is flooded too - luckily mare's field is set up so that the shelter/ food and eater are on a hilly so not as icy as it could be since the temperature dropped back down. Did you guys wake up to snow this morning?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

@sunrisegurl146
    The snow started yesterday for us. It was raining when I left the farm around 2/3pm, and it was turning to ice right away as the temp & wind made it way too cold to not. The temp was scheduled to go down, so I knew it would turn to snow, which it did......

Today many places have canceled everything b/c of the wind. While I don’t think it’s actively snowing, it feels/looks like it d/t all the wind blowing the snow around. All my people canceled except my one student at the end of the day. :)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I don't know how this is the first I'm seeing of this thread, but I'm in love with Zee. Can't wait to see and read more as you progress!! And as an aside, yes...this winter has GOT to be done. It's been below zero for the entire month of February, with lows of -25F this weekend still, and not much above zero (even for highs) in the near future. We also have about a foot of snow with additional drifting. Makes it darn hard to work horses!!

Rhythm 'n Blues and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Rhythm 'n Blues

I’ll trade you!!! At least with a foot of snow the footing would be good.

Glad you found my thread :) well be taking a long break given the state of my indoor.....maybe I can school piaffe in hand for the next like 4-6 weeks.....

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Sorry you’re having to deal with that @Rhythm 'n Blues i hate mud and flooding.

I think I prefer the deep freeze, many cold records for the day broken up here again today. Meant to have a lesson tomorrow, but that is probably not going to happen, we’ll see

Alsosusieq2 and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  6. Rhythm 'n Blues

I use to live where the weather was similar to where you are. Basically -30 before windchill the majority of the winter. I definitely hated it, but ya know what? At least if I wanted to hop on bareback for a quick little tootle around I could......and my horses could walk around in his paddock! Right now? The weather is “warm enough” that I would absolutely should/would be rising and not can’t......I think that makes it harder to deal with.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Oh no, because there was ice first before the snow. We can complain and be miserable together about the weather. I am crossing my fingers that maybe next week it'll me above 0 and I'll be motivated to go ride in the indoor. I am a fair weather person!

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  8. Rhythm 'n Blues

My cut off is -15*C before windchill. Sometimes I throw caution to the wind on that one, but I need to be REALLY motivated for that. Hahaha

Dream27 likes this.
  9. Rhythm 'n Blues

Ring is still flooded - well frozen solid from the flooding. Haven’t ridden & were in the middle of whatbis hopefully our last polar vortex! So cold tonight! It was -15*C before wind chill & -24*C with the wind chill when I was out there. Was -10 when I left home and I did t actually think the temp would drop that quickly, but it is.

Since there’s no riding, Zee and I have been hanging out every other day doing bosy work. The last 2 nights it’s been massage work. He is such a funny dude. When I hit a sore spot he with so 1 of 2 things. 1) dance around in the most polite way possible or 2) he nods his head up and down really short and fast - that’s his go-to when he’s annoyed. I just laugh at him and say “Zee just let go of the tension dude!” And he’ll resist and the stretch his neck out really far, lips will start wiggling and then he’ll either yawn or cross his jaw mouthing the air. Hahahaha

I like to think he enjoys it, but I’m sure when I first hit those sore spots he disagrees. So here’s hoping I have a super lose awesome feeling pony by the time I can ride again!

Alsosusieq2, Arem, equinitis and 3 others like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Arena has thawed & been dragged enough to be able to only have 1-2 foot steps on a hard/frozen section but the rest is good footing. So I took advantage of this opportunity to ride!!! OMG 1st time in over a month. He feels great. Zee had developed toe calus in the last week (I’ll get new photos this weekend for his foot thread to show).

1st one on a freshly dragged ring too!
    0FB71BF8-A7BF-4FA6-995B-369922F02EE0.jpeg

F3B44ECD-CCCE-4887-9D5B-781003D4BFBC.jpeg

And then him visiting with his girl friend Fif afterwards - they adore each other.
    5BE0C10A-677A-4928-857C-1317D0177587.jpeg
    F7F12DF0-ADEA-4380-A447-37B0C5E2AC74.jpeg

mooselady, mkoktavy, ginster and 8 others like this.