The Start of a New Chapter

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Rhythm 'n Blues, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Haven’t updated in a while as things have taken a slip back. Our weather has been just terrible! Rain & ice for weeks and the ground is frozen solid. There’s about 2inches of crusty snow over it now, as it snowed and then warmed up above freezing. Poor guys feet just can’t take footing like this. Found him hobbling lame one day in the pasture, so he went out in hoof boots the next day & he still was just hanging out in the shelter by the door. Then the weather turned nasty again & he spent 2 days inside. He’s better now, as the footing is better, no longer hobbling lame at a walk in turn out. They are calling for more snow so that will help. He’s much much happier in our indoor, but still not 100% even with hoof boots. So he’s having some time off and we’ve ordered hoof armour. Farrier is saying we just need to get through the next few months and we should be good, so I’m doing my best to give him time, but I’ve made it clear I refuse to allow him to be crippled in turn out again.

He has a new pasture mate (timing of this didn’t help as we had terrible footing when he came) So he’s now out with 1 mare & 1 gelding. He hated the gelding at first, but is getting better with him. The gelding is an absolute PEST! I want to deck the gelding every time I watch them interacting. Zee makes it clear he dislikes the gelding and the gelding is just like “no no, you totally love me, maybe if I just get a little closer or look a little cuter? Yeah yeah I’ll try that - look how cute I am - you know you looove me.....” then the gelding turns into a pansy speals and moves away when Zee insists he has over stepped his boundary. Gah. Dumb gelding!

Oh I swapped his feed out entirely for mad barn’s amino trace pellet & summit alfalfa pellets. He sure doesn’t love his food, but he finishes it each day - zero gobbling or inhaling. Often times 2 hours after he’s been fed I’ll still hear him switch from hay to hard feed. But his coat feels fantastic! You use to pat or rub him and your hand would be covered In that white dirt/dander. His girth would be completely white after 1 ride & his bridle the same. Now he’s like a normal horse. So that’s a good sign.

Not much else to update, but no update is complete without a photo........so here is Zee contemplating life with himself.
    C7C76CEC-75D8-4A58-A8E4-058A5B6A0EB5.jpeg

2. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

Calgary was extremely icy the past two years... Makes me wonder how any horses stay around under those conditions, had me wishing for Manitoba snow :p He's absolutely beautiful, excited to see what you guys can do.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. Rhythm 'n Blues

Thank you @wpgrider. I think these feet are our biggest hurdle for sure.

4. Rhythm 'n Blues

I need to update Zee’s feet thread with new pics, but need some alone time st the farm to do them.

Anyways we tried hoof armour on Wednesday night. I rode Friday AM and Zee was much more comfortable & willing to move forward! Had a friend out with me while I rode today. Today’s ride was even better, but had I been by myself and not kinda rushing, it would have been even better! None the less, I have a few photos from my ride today.

55B19A07-5480-423B-935F-42FD70A4B25C.png

FD8ECBC4-109D-48EF-980F-BD742040C084.png

A515F588-77FB-440D-921A-886D3ADD94E4.png

0D2E183F-F473-4FF7-97BF-3A85694D8BBB.png

447AE8B1-F196-4E69-A9D5-704327F3E8D9.png

F019CFB9-28B3-4B27-A808-ADE4C8138F21.png

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I just wanted to say, I've seen a unicorn or two in my day, and your horse is DEFINITELY a unicorn.

He's like my childhood fantasy horse come to life. :rofl: Love your updates!

6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Spring's coming, looking good.

7. Rhythm 'n Blues

Ahh that's so incredibly kind @foxtrot! He's my unicorn for sure, so much fun to ride & play with him. :loveflag:

*sigh* I can't wait....but we're in that stupid in between spot where it's icy and hard :mad: Just need to make it through till March. I don't think I'll ever be so happy for mud ever! :faint::help::willynilly:

foxtrot and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

He is so handsome, and you’re looking **** good up there..

Alsosusieq2 and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  9. mkoktavy

mkoktavy Senior Member

The annoying gelding sounds a lot like Flash... hahaha

Alsosusieq2 and Rhythm 'n Blues like this.
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Thank you Moosey! I am really happy with how I’m sitting in these photos! Finally happy hahaha

Possibly! But doesn’t Flash listen when you tell him to back off?? This one doesn’t. I’ve decked him a couple times after politely telling him to get lost and him coming back stronger each time with ME!

In other news - my indoor flooded today. So no more riding for me. I’ll be likely at least a month before this is solved; unless there’s a miracle.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.