The runs :(

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Sidssa, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Sidssa

Sidssa Registered

IMG_3208.JPG I have an 18-year-old QH/TB/Morgan mare who has been struggling with intermittent liquid in her poop for a couple of months. She is in light work, is an average keeper, is otherwise happy and healthy except her tailbed seems dry. She is on pasture with a herd of about 15 (but we're in California so it's dry now and they get grass hay twice a day).

Some recent history: I had both horses at a different facility also on pasture until the beginning of July. The barn owner switched hay to absolute crap in June, which is when the runny poops started in several horses there, including both of mine. I complained, barn owner was defensive and refused to fix situation, etc, so I immediately pulled them out of there. Hay is MUCH better at the new place and they have a year's worth in the barn. My other horse's manure improved to normal within 2-3 days and she is doing great.

But this horse hasn't quite bounced back. Her actual manure looks much more formed (but still not quite normal) but she's definitely got some liquid leaking out, not every day but it's still not GONE. in addition to her hay, she gets a bucket with a handful of senior feed (mostly for palatability but more if I ever notice her weight go down which it hasn't recently), a scoop of Platinum joint formula, and salt. She used to get a little corn oil but I stopped in case it was worsening the poop issue. In the last month I have added shelf-stable ground flax, apple cider vinegar, and a probiotic in my efforts to clear up whatever is going on.

I wonder if the bad hay caused lasting damage? Is it more likely to be ulcers or some other unrelated gut disease? Should I give the probiotics more time? The vet will see both horses this fall so I am hoping to have more questions and information to give her when she checks on this horse.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

When were they wormed last? Did you have a fecal done since these issues started?
    If not, that would be my starting point.
    Probiotics can't hurt.

3. Sidssa

Sidssa Registered

Old facility insisted on old-school rotational worming so that’s what I did there, most recently with Safeguard in early June. New place does not have that rule so fecals are on my list for the upcoming vet visit.

4. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Platinum biosponge works pretty well.
    I've also had really good luck with ProbioticWise.

turnnburnlynx and ginster like this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Psyllium

6. slc

slc Senior Member

The horse is old enough tht it could be inflammatory bowel disease. It is a subject for the vet and should start with fecal counts and worming, test for blood in manure, etc

ginster likes this.
  7. paval

paval Senior Member

My first QH (who lived to be 37) got a spell of the liquidy poops in her senior years. Vet told me to call one of the reputable feed companies for recommendation. I called Blue Seal, they told me to gradually start her on soaked beet pulp pellets. It didn't take much, I think maybe about 3/4 cup measured dry then soaked for a few hours in warm water, given twice a day, and her manure firmed up. Some horses don't take a liking to beet pulp right away, so you may have to start with a lesser amount... and mine would only eat it warm, so right before serving, I'd add some hot water and drain off the water.

Bebe likes this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

First of all, what a pretty girl! I agree that a fecal is a good place to start. Psyllium is also a good idea - I live in California too and it's so dry out here that sand is always something to think about.

I'd also check her for signs of dehydration and maybe dose her with some electrolytes if she shows a poor skin pinch rebound or has pale gums. If she's been having this for a while she may need some help there.

Honestly though, I wouldn't mess with her feed too much at this point until the vet sees her. I imagine it's the change in feed that started it. I'd continue the probiotics and keep an eye on it until the vet visit.

9. Sidssa

Sidssa Registered

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. Open to more if anyone has any. Her gums, rebound, and vitals are looking fine. Looking forward to what the vet thinks.

10. Sidssa

Sidssa Registered

Just came by to update you all about what the vet said. Fecal looks fine, so she said based on what she heard in the gut and saw in the manure, first step is to treat for sand with psyllium. If she doesn't improve, next step is biosponge. She does not think it is ulcers and said she doesn't see the need for blood work at this point. Her weight, vitals, and gums continue to look good. She has been wanting to rub her hind end on everything (not in heat, udder kept clean), which I was guessing was from being itchy due to the leaky poop. Vet said that could be but also treated her rectally for pinworms in case it is that. I've been riding her very lightly just to keep her busy and flexible and she seems like herself under saddle. Just want the poop juice to go away!

Mcdreamer likes this.