The reasons I became a crazy barn owner.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kristal H, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We are on the east side just 25 miles from Seattle

VermilionStrife likes this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Wow, I bet it's gorgeous. My sis lives in that weirdly named town Couer D' laine (sp). It's paradise.

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Couer D' laine in Idaho? yes its lovely

4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Heck if we move back to WA someday (all my family is there) might have to check your place out :)

5. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Coeur d'Alene. Leftover from those ol' French trappers I think.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

CDA is only 2 hours and 15 minutes from my house. Lol Monroe area?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I'm about a 5 hour drive to CDA

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

I could never board other's horses. Well, on the whole. I DID let my best friend keep her horses here termporarily, but she's pretty much family. And another friend keeps her mini donkey here. But those are the only two exceptions I have LOL I just couldn't deal with people... and I value my privacy! :) I respect those who do board horses!

Varisha and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Caitlin Popplewell

Caitlin Popplewell Registered

These things don't make you crazy, your listed boarder problems are just boarders not following the rules given to them and not really thinking, which is a shame. I have met a couple of literally crazy barn owner's in the past, and I am glad to be far away from them now, but most that I meet are wonderful and have respectable rules set. The only problem I keep running into again and again is ignoring my signs and smoking in the barn.

10. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Let me tell you about a crazy barn owner I knew. She runs a fairly well known stable in my area and over the course of a year, most of her boarders and students left for one reason or another.

I left because my horses weren't getting food or water. I was paying for outdoor board which included hay and (I assumed) water. My older mare was in with the broodmares in the back and more than once, I couldn't find a single trace of hay in the field. The first time, I figured the one bale had been eaten and the new bale was going to be put out at the next feeding. It had just dumped snow on us, so I assumed the traces of the last hay bale were covered. So I brought my mare in, fed her the additional seniors feed and stuff I gave her and tossed her back out. When I went back the next evening, there was still no bale out there. I talked to the barn owner and she said it was up to the broodmares to forage for grass in the 50 acre pasture. Red flag. So I asked her if I could move my mare up to the individual runs behind the barn to ensure she got food. It cost me more, but whatever.

All was well for about 3 weeks, and then I realized that the only time my horse was consistently running her bucket dry. I added a second one and every time I showed up, both buckets would be empty. I asked the barn owner what the deal was and she told me it was "too much work" to haul water from the barn to the runs -- all they had to do was drive the Kubota down the hill (100ft), load up the empty buckets, drive them to the barn, fill them with the hose and drive back down. That hardly seemed like a lot of work, but if it was inconvenient, why would they put runs there? I ended up going multiple times a day to haul water (by hand, since I wasn't allowed to use the Kubota). Each time, it took me about 10 minutes. Not long at all. But I started looking for a new barn anyway. I'm still suspicious that the water situation had something to do with my mare colicking before I moved her.

When I found one, I still gave the barn owner a week's notice and paid for the following month. She blocked the tack room door by standing in front of it until I handed her a check and then made a big scene about how she had tried to get her money from me for months. No. I paid my board bill early every month and had the final check in my pocket when I gave her my notice. I moved my horses while the barn was at a show, at noon. I found out through the grape vine that she was telling everyone that I stiffed her a bunch of months of board and moved my horses in the middle of the night.

Over the next few months, more people left. She would text her teenage students in the middle of the night, harassing them and calling them names. When they left the barn, she would text them to say they were awful people and no one liked them. I saw some of these texts and some of the things she said were absolutely crazy. She's driven away countless instructors, farriers and vets because they can't work with her mood swings. There are rumors that she drinks to excess, and that you never know if you'll get a nice person or a crazy one. It's like Russian Roulette of the crazies.

Now, I see her posting all over Kijiji trying to find enough riders to teach and take to Oklahoma for some big shows. All her boarders left and I think she has two steady students. The barn I moved to is fantastic and I'm very lucky.