1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured The reasons I became a crazy barn owner.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kristal H, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

LOL .... we've had the frozen hose occur a few times too! That is always a joy at 5 AM.

Arem and Friesiangirl like this.
  2. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

*deep sigh* Exactly. I'm half awake trying to take care of your horse here. Throw me a bone.

Or better yet, they let it trickle down the concrete isleway. That's even more fun in the morning when it's frozen in a nice thin sheet of ice.

Arem and Kristal H like this.
  3. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I can't get over the tying to a water hydrant.

:faint::eek:

4. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

This was a learning experience for this young lady and I don't think she will ever tie her horse to anything but a tie ring again! I Love her dearly.

5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I will say have 2 things that I just won’t tolerate that will cause me to go bat poop crazy and cause an instant eviction… smoking or drugs anywhere on my property and theft.

The woman that told me that my husband who works at a children’s hospital, does charity events for kids, and has raised my autistic and CP son with incredible care must be a cruel person because he’s a tattooed biker got told not to let the barn door hit her on the bum on her way out too….. after all I’m a barn owner not a saint.

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I agree - @Kristal H it sounds like you have a great place and a very thoughtful attitude.

I don't work at my barn but it drives me batty how little people care about how they leave things. I am constantly cleaning up after other boarders, just because I prefer the facilities I use every day to stay nice. People leave piles of manure in the wash rack all the time - the wash rack is literally 2 steps away from a manure tip!

We got a beautiful new full-size dressage court with nice footing installed a couple of years ago. Management made sure to supply forks and buckets so people could clean up after their horses and put up signs to please do so. I can't count the number of times I've said to someone as they rode out of the arena, "are you going to pick up your poop?" It's really not that hard. Dismount. Pick it up. Remount. I'll even hold your horse.

People bring a full wheelbarrow to the manure tip and dump it, then leave the wheelbarrow parked right in the way so the next person either has to move the wheelbarrow (which they rarely do) or dump their manure behind it. So when the workers come to clean the tip, they have to scramble through poop to move all the wheelbarrows piled up.

Most of it is sheer laziness. It annoys the heck out of me. The guys that work at our ranch are wonderful, hard-working guys who don't need added work because people can't be bothered to do a little more than they're doing. Grr.

7. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I think many times boarders don’t understand the cost of maintenance and repair. If we want nice barns and arenas to ride in at an affordable price, keeping the maintenance cost as low as possible can go a long way to controlling cost. Putting a good out door is expensive, but having to haul off old all weather footing with rubber in it to replace it with new footing is often cost prohibitive…. Not to mention I don’t want to breath poop dust or fall in it. To me it seems like this is a simple concept.

I’m sure your BO is very appreciative of your going the extra mile .. or taking the extra trip to the muck bucket.

8. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

They don't! We have one who wants reining quality footing done in our completely abandoned outdoor -- great idea but isn't something we can just poof into existence! We need fences fixed etc long before we redo the outdoor footing. LOL

Nickers2002 likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

I think a lot of people don't organize their time well when they go to the boarding barn.

I saw many people who rushed to the barn, put their horse in the wash rack, ran into the tackroom, got their brushes and tack and put them on in the wash rack, yanked off the horse's blankets, dabbed at him with a brush, then spent hours in the lounge, cutting up carrots and gabbing (about the people who were riding in the arena, mostly, and how bad they were, LOL), then rode for 10 minutes at a walk, put their horse BACK in the cross ties, spent a few MORE hours in the lounge cutting up carrots, and then rushed through stall cleaning (leaving the WHEEL BARROW dumped on the manure pile....) and then leaped in the car and drove home.

LOL.

The manager would ask them to PLEASE put away their wheelbarrow, their tack, clean the wash rack up when their horse (who spent a LOT of time in the wash rack!!!) pooped 24 times in the wash rack, and so on and this was ALWAYS their battle cry:

"BUT I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO DO THAT!"

I took my boyfriend with me to the barn with the most severe example of this behavior, and we nearly ran off the road on the way home, we were laughing so hard. He thought it was HYSTERICAL and worked up a beautiful Mr. Bean version of the entire thing from start to finish. I was laughing so hard I was crying. Every time I walked into that barn forever more I would grin.

We also posited that the lounge was EVIL and had a sort of succubus that would drag them in there and take over their brains, LOL.

One barn hard it right - NO LOUNGE, NO CHAIRS. Anywhere in the barn. Not even the tack room. Not even the aisle - there wasn't even one object that could be improvised as a seat, LOL. Even the manager's desk was a fold down in the aisle, and had NO CHAIR.

LOL.

A few people did develop incredibly masterful ''leans'' (ways to lean against the wall while talking), but no one sat in any lounge for 2-4 hrs 'while riding'.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Maybe we need a "poop Jar" if you get caught leaving poop in the arena, aisle or wash-rack you have to put in a dollar.