1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Featured The reasons I became a crazy barn owner.

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Kristal H, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

I thought it might be interesting to look at the Crazy Barn Owner from their perspective.

Boarder tied horse to stall grills instead of tie ring ( rules state clearly to only tie to tie rings). Horse pulls back pulling the stall grill out, panics injures itself needs stiches. Cost me $500+ to repair grill and the added bonus is I get to treat horse wounds 2X's a day and give antibiotic.

Boarder tied horse to arena rail and let horse dig pit in the arena subfloor and tear up the barrier material after paying $20,000 to have the arena floor done....again clearly stated in the rules.

Boarder tied horse to water hydrant, horse pulled back and pulling out hydrant and 4 feet of water line. Water fountain flooded barn and a $600 water bill and a $700 plumbing bill. While not tying to the water hydrant is not specifically stated in the rules..it does state not to tie to any thing but a tie ring.

5 AM feeding boarders horse did not drink enough or poop. Call all boarders numbers, including the emergency number, still can not contact at 8, I have to call in an emergency day off work and meet the vet for boarders horse. Boarder finally calls me back the next day to see how horse is.

Boarder turns their mare out in pasture with stallion.

Boarder stands horse next my new truck in the house driveway, horse kicks in the back fender...rules state clearly that house, yard and vehicle area are off limits.

Boarders horse is IR and had previously foundered, I make a special trip to buy special tested hay, carefully weigh hay and stuff feed into nibble net. I provide supplement for IR horse. Owner fills 3 gallon pan with carrots, apples and horse cookies when they come to visit.

Boarder puts blanket that is too big on horse,Boarder told that they should not use that blanket, Horse gets leg caught in strap and cast itself in stall. I have to go in stall with 1300 pound panicked horse and cut blanket off.

Boarder tells me that my husband is not allowed to feed or clean for her horse when I go out of town because he is a big, bald, biker with piercings and tattoo's and this makes him unacceptable.

Now you know just a small sample of why I am a crazy barn owner, and why I now only do limited boarding.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I can see that clearly. I'd not want strangers in my barn because of just such lovely reasons. I only ever ran them in the pastures with covered areas..not in the stable. Too much risk, money obviously ^ to cover what they brought in to justify it imo. Boy, what a nightmare. :(

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

It can hard to see the home that you love and worked so hard for, not treated with the same care that you treat it.

Arem, meljean, mygirl1197 and 2 others like this.
  4. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

My goodness, that's beyond irritating! I can't stand having my things ruined by careless people. This isn't the same boarder, is it? Do you have or would you consider a "three strikes and you're out" policy?

meljean likes this.
  5. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

No...lol...not all by the same boarder, and I should say I have had some boarders that have been fantastic and we have become long time friends.

I've learned over the years...now I have in my contract now that the Boarder is responsible financial for any not normal wear property damage...I'm very picky about who I will take and I have no problem telling a boarder that isn't working out that they have until the end of the month to find a barn.

6. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

During what I call "The Great Barn Divorce of 2016", those that did those sorts of things left to another barn. Thank goodness. It would drive me batty.

One woman had no control of her horse, and regularly that horse would BOLT back into the barn-- Concrete isles, full set of shoes and all. When approached about it, said owner felt attacked because she was a new horse owner. No, we just really don't want to see you injure yourself, but whatever...

There's always two sides to every story of course, but I completely empathize with your post.

7. uncanny580

uncanny580 Senior Member

That's just stupid boarders!

All horse people are some sort of "crazy", but that doesn't make barn owners/managers legit crazy.

I have had one crazy BM. I won't go into details but it was ridiculous at that barn. Life has been so much easier and better since moving.

Current BO isn't crazy, different, and has different ideas but not crazy at all.

meljean, tlwidener and Kristal H like this.
  8. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I am absolutely guilty of declaring that all barn owners/managers are crazy. But I've always wondered if it was owning a barn that made them crazy or if you had to be crazy to want to own a barn.

My husband once suggested to me that we buy a place and take in boarders. I said, "Are you nuts!? I don't want to deal with crazy horse people every day!"

9. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

Most of the Barn Owners that I know are wonderful people that are willing to share what they have worked very hard for with others, because they love horses and want others to have an opportunity to have a horse.

We all have our quirks as we are human, and we have strong opinions as all horse people do, in fact we were opinionated and stubborn enough that we were willing to sacrifice other parts of our life to build a place so we could keep our own horses at home. We do a lot of work and put a lot of care into other’s horses.

I’m so proud of the kids that I’ve watched grow up learning about horses and I love the many friends that I’ve made over the years.

10. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

Your facility honestly sounds wonderful.

I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way the most is just, how little care people take. Now, I know I'm just a stable hand on the weekends but I take pride in the facility. I feel very emotionally attached to its success (and it's being ran by a wonderful woman who really means the best.) So when people leave their trash around, or break something and don't even mention it, or misplace things constantly, I feel a little insulted. I guess they don't have the same perspective as me, where I feel like the barn is Home #2. But I know just how much work goes into everything, and that every little thing counts.

When I've got 20 hungry horses and someone moved the hay cart to some weird place and didn't bring it back and I spend 20 minutes searching, I get annoyed. Or uses the hose and doesn't drain it and now it's frozen. You know, it's the little things.

Some people just don't notice they aren't taking care of a shared space. That's nothing new.