The ongoing Quest--pictures added weekly!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Oct 7, 2016.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You have the perfect case study of the difference between a horse handled correctly from birth and a horse that has not had that privilege. Calypso has come so far with you and I have no doubt she will continue to progress, but she will never know the security and confidence that Quest does. From the get-go, he has learned that he can trust humans to treat him fairly, to listen to him, to respond to his needs, to feed him and keep him safe. He's learned too that humans have boundaries, that he must behave a certain way, that there are things humans want to do that are puzzling but that he must allow it (and he does because he trusts them).

He is a well-rounded, solidly confident, secure and happy horse, which is how it ought to be. He's loved but not spoiled, trained but not treated unfairly, corrected but not harmed.

Compare that with poor Calypso, who came to you having no idea what to expect because she had obviously not been given that kind of care and fairness. Quest is a Good Boy partly because it's his nature but hugely because he has been given no reason not to be and has been properly handled from birth. And once again, you're doing the right thing for him even though it's hard for you.

Much respect. :tiphat:

2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Awww, thank you Bella.
    It is really a joy to watch him grow up, especially because he is SUCH a Good Boy.
    I was nervous when we pulled in the yard. The roads by my house were ok, but slick and trecherous near the stable, and we crawled the last two miles. (I was about ready to pull over and walk, honestly).
    It was an icy, snowy, and cold drive, and I was expecting him to be out of sorts and difficult.
    But what stepped off the trailer was a bright, curious, well-mannered yearling. He whinnied to the other horses, then carefully followed me across the slippery driveway to the barn, and when I handed him off to Beth, he was as good as gold. She put him in his stall, and he found the hay and water, and just happily started munching. A few horses started talking through the bars at him and he just clacked his little baby teeth at them, and continued eating.
    He was being so calm and good they decided to put him out in the paddock for a little while to stretch his legs so he wouldn't be cooped up for so long (horses are in all night there). He let Beth halter him, and followed her out to the paddock like an old hand. He did whinny and run around with his tail up in the paddock for a few minutes, but when I left he was munching hay and just looking around.
    He will be great. Beth ADORES him, and he is a really, really Good Boy.

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

How tall is he now?

Dona Worry likes this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

14.2 at the wither, slightly taller at the bum.
    Officially no longer a pony!

bobo and horses and ginster like this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The pictures she sent last night.
    The maroon blanket that matches his mom is still too big, so he doesn't wear that in his stall (it was what he was wearing when he got cast, and he struggles to lie down and get up in it) so she switched him the the apple blanket for the night, said he was perfect.
    received_1967283916826842.jpeg received_1967283910160176.jpeg

6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That looks to be a little sparse on bedding?

7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Hrm, not sure why. Probably 2" of shavings on top of rubber mats.

bobo and horses and ginster like this.
  8. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Wow, that guy is going to be huge once fully grown, compared to the dam. Interesting, because he doesn't look like he has any draft blood and I don't suppose you live in an area where surplus 17 hand warmblood colts end up at feedlots to cover random mares.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

No. . . But I guess TB or SB Xdraft is common enough, especially in Amish country, that his other half could be 'discount' warmblood.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Handsome boy is handsome! received_1967656983456202.jpeg
    I guess he is settling in ok. He's made friends over the fence with his eventual pasture buddy, and in a couple of days they are going to be put in together.