The ongoing Quest--pictures added weekly!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Oct 7, 2016.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Couldn't see the pics earlier. Wow, they look very similar.
    Love almost identical expression on their pretty faces. Just think, Dona, you could get a matching pair!! They would make a great Troika with Miss Calypso....

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

"No, I don't WANT the whole pear, I want you to HOLD it while I take tiny nibbles and slobber on your arm!"
    2017-10-29 13.21.21.jpg
    13.3 and like 3/4" hh at the withers! 2017-10-29 13.20.52.jpg 14.2 hh at the bum! 2017-10-29 13.20.08.jpg

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So I met the 4-H girl that wants to show Quest next year. She was so paralyzed with terror she could barely speak, but showed me her horse, Rider, showed me a gazillion videos of her showing last year and the year before (this was obviously so I could see with my own eyes how she had improved but like Idk the first thing about showing, so I just nodded and admired her form, which seemed to make her happy.
    I like her. No real red flags jumped out at me. She started her horse under saddle largely by herself, and thanks to a costume party happening I was able to witness her goofing about bareback on him while both were wearing costumes lol. Horse seemed soft and cooperative, they seemed to have a nice relationship. She is going to come meet Quest on Saturday, and I think if that goes well I'll get a lease drawn up and we'll give it a try.
    The stable was a little ramshackle, but the pastures seem to have solid fences, and there are several smaller paddocks as well. Stalls a little small, but in good shape, no obvious hazards. Horses have turnout except for meals unless the weather is bad, and there were roundbales in all the pastures.

4. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I have never heard of this type of lease. I would really hesitate before sending a weanling to a novice for training. So much could go wrong.

Much better to let him be a baby and send him to a professional at 3.

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I really need to separate him and his mom just so I can get her brain back. It is better than it was, but still a constant uphill battle doing anything with her, and now he is starting to get the same anxiety about her being away-- even with the other two horses with him. I don't have a way to effectively manage this here with my time, buddy, and facility constraints, so this will give them more time apart to give Calypso a chance to focus on other things.
    It will also give Quest another chance at learning herd manners in a bigger herd. Something I really like is there are 8 horses, and 6 paddocks, three of which are a really nice size. He will be turned out by himself, then given a buddy, then turned out with one of the groups.
    The girl is in school, and has another horse. He isn't going to be overworked, or taught anything complicated. The girl wants the experience of a yearling, and is thrilled at the prospect of in-hamd classes with a horse she has taught herself.
    If it works, it will be a win for everyone. If it looks like it is starting to go sour, I cut my losses and bring him back home.

6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I hope it works out for you.

Will this girl have a trainer working with her?

7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The club leader/riding instructor/ BO will be giving her guidance and monitoring the sessions. I've told her that, assuming her and Quest fet along on the meet and greet Saturday and we actually proceed, that if she wants to attend clinics or have a trainer in at ANY time, to let me know and we can arrange it.

ginster likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

My life is SO HARD.
    So the girl I originally wanted to show Quest has popped up again. Her radio silence was mostly because she got a CONCUSSION playing SOCCER (how?!) and was a little out of it/ behind.
    But she too wants to show Quest, she too is super enthusiastic and she too is a smart, capable young lady.

So now I have to CHOOSE.

And whoever I DON'T choose will be REALLY SAD and I HATE THAT.

Ugh. 12 yo is still coming Saturday. 15 yo hasn't set a date to come see him yet. Going to try and get that squared away. Maybe one of them will just not have time and excuse themself....

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

"So. I was napping. You may have noticed."
    "With your head in a pile of poo? Yes I did. Particularly when I went to pat you."
    "Yeah, anyways, I was ASLEEP. In my cozy warm stall."
    "So?"
    "Well, I don't know if you noticed, but it is #&$@!×£€£¥@!&@^#!!!! cold out."
    "Go on, your momma is throwing a fit."
    "BUT IT'S COLD I DON'T WANNA!"

20171108_192811.jpg

Attached Files:

ginster and froglander like this.
  10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

12yo came to see Quest. I think maybe I will go with her. I think I have to!
    We walk out on the hill to see them (I figured she should see him in his natural environment rather than in his stall) and I say that she should try 'catching' him just to see how he is. So she takes his halter and walks up to him, hold out her hand and says "Hi there buddy!"

He walks up to her, puts his nose on her hand and just melts. Totally melts. Ears droop, eyes close, neck relaxes. . . so she caught his face with both hands and just stroked him for a minute, then turned to her BO like :eek::eek2::love::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:
    :help:
    She is in love. Soooooo in love. He was a perfect gentlemen to be halted and led around, tested her a bit but she corrected him and he cut it out. Calypso was throwing a total (embarrassing) tantrum, the two morgans were fussing, and the wind was brutal, but he was a good boy and walked around calmly, totally focused on her.
    She was literally vibrating when we got down the hill. Not shivering. Vibrating.
    "So, is he what you had in mind, the sort of project you were looking for?"
    "Yes, he's, he's, so much calmer and friendlier than I was expecting, and he listened really really well, he is perfect. Have you decided--when will you--What--when will you know for sure? I mean, who?"
    "This week. Will let you know this week. For sure."
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help: