The newest big dun monster in training....

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by QHriderKE, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

neither lol

2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Sage

GONE ROPING likes this.
  3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Leviosa~!!

Then you're all prepared for the bucking...:ROFLMAO:

4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

I would call her Wicked.....cuz, to this Massachusetts person...she's Wicked big!!

manesntails, ginster and Arem like this.
  5. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

My mom has her on supervised play dates with the buckskin mare :rofl:
    They are apparently not yet friends.
    Resized_20181027_121132.jpeg

6. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

Been spending my weekend with some pressure and release work with baby... getting her interested in coming closer to me and facing up to me when I'm working her. Would be easier with a round pen but I'm making it work....
    I'm getting closer and closer to her, slowly but surely I would like to do this stuff without having to rope her or anything like that....
    20181104_090209.jpg 20181104_095120.jpg

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If I were there I could show ya. You need to not look at her, mosey around like another horse would that was in with her. As you get closer, if she runs off, ask her to stop by getting in position to stop her and turn her the other way. Keep really relaxed, no andgst~!! Then turn her back again and when she stops and faces you, stop, turn, walk away.

Repeat.

It only took me 45 min. one day to catch an unhandled weanling. Once they let you stay beside them, you walk off. Go take a break and come back in a little while and repeat. You want to do this a couple times a day, for a few days, until you can scratch a wither, rub a halter all over them, and leave again.

When you can rub the halter on the head, put just the noseband on and off a number of times until the horse doesn't react. You rub the cheeks too and scratch the neck high up. You wait'll the horse relaxes and drops it's head before fully haltering it, then immediately remove it.

You want to get stuff off, or stop BEFORE the horse has time to react.

Don't try leading her anyplace, just be happy if you get it on and can take it right off. Once you can have her stand relaxed and put the halter on, you ask her to give to pressure to one side, never forward. This she can't set up against. She is to take a tiny try at a step towards you and to her left.

Then you work on her following in a circle, each side, then bigger circles, then you gradually work towards a little straight ahead but right back to to the side whenever she hesitates.

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Okay, what about Frances?
    Totally a Dirty Dancing reference, is that a problem?

QHriderKE likes this.
  9. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

She's a bit more wild and touchy than to have her letting you touch her in 45 minutes..... as in she tried to go through fences the other morning before I got home.

I've just been playing some pressure and release games with her, and getting a handle on being able to get her to stop and change direction and face up to me. This afternoon she begun facing up and taking steps towards me as I backed off.

We are no where near thinking about a halter yet, I would just like her to come up for a good a sniff. And then will go with her letting me give her a scratch on the wither. If I had an appropriate place to keep her close to me, I probably would have had her halter broke by now lol!

Bakkir and Arem like this.
  10. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

More pictures.... that trot!!!
    20181104_095124.jpg 20181104_084815.jpg 20181104_084853.jpg