The Nail Test

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Rumonek, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member+

Has anyone on here used the nail test to guess whether their horse will have a filly or colt? Was it correct for you?

2. ldovepaints

ldovepaints Senior Member+

Yes I have used it once this year when my mare Sara was pregnant and was just goofing around. It tested to be a colt....much to my surprise it was correct.

3. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member+

So far I've used it 8 to 10 different times and it's been right EVERY time!! Even telling me that a mare wasn't bred.

I've had all fillies and one colt (my last foal) so I was beginning to wonder if it just always went in a circle to show it was a filly lol. When I tested Rumor it finaly said colt and I was estatic!

4. Oklassic

Oklassic Senior Member

Never heard of it! I' don't know much about breeding. but how is it done?

5. ldovepaints

[FONT=times, serif, symbol]Take a strand of the mare's tail hair and tie a nail to the end of it. Hold the hair and nail steady above the mare's spine behind the withers, preferably above the biggest part of the belly. The nail will start to move by itself. If it goes in circles you will have a filly, if it swings back and forth along the spine then you will have a colt. If your mare is not pregnant the nail won't move.
    [/FONT]

6. Hopeful Wishes

Hopeful Wishes Senior Member+

How far in to the pregnancy can this be done?

7. ldovepaints

I have only done it after 6 months in. I would imagine that the longer you wait the more accurate the results. In know I did it at 6 months, 8 months, and 11 months. Each time the sign for colt became stronger (swung quicker and harder).

8. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member+

Ok, the nail test I've done is not the same as above- you don't use the mare's hair, you just use string, and you hold the nail above the horse's hip area. :)

I've had opposite results than above- the earlier in the pregnancy, the stronger the swing was (starting at about 4 months) about a week or so before my mare foaled, the nail stopped swinging...

9. ldovepaints

Hmmmmm....bizarre. Well if it works, it works!

10. Rumonek

Rumonek Senior Member+

Yep! lol... it might depend on the time of pregnancy where you use the nail...