The Mistakes We've Made

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Arem

Arem Senior Member

The road to horseman is marked with mistakes and failures. Errors in judgement and misguidance. It's normal. It's common. It's okay.

It seems to have been forgotten in this forum that it's okay to make those mistakes, and okay for people to call you on your mistakes. This is how we learn. We can either recognize our mistakes and improve or we can we deny and stagnate.

So! Here is a thread for all of us to recognize our past mistakes. Or, heck, even current ones if your brave! :D Let's see your bad bits, bad equitation, equipment malfunctions, and so on. Show us where you are, now, too!

I'll go first to break the ice!:D

This picture got dug up to poke at me. Honestly, none of you can say anything worse about it than I said when I saw it at the time :hah: Im pretty sure it's not even the worst to be honest. :oops:

Anyway, here we are. This is right after we started barrel racing 2 years ago. This was either our second or third race. I originally posted it in a barrel racing help thread, I believe. We were extremely green on the pattern, had all the typical turning problems, and I was also sort of scared to let her go. As evidenced by my hanging on her mouth. :oops: Let the dang reins go, Arem! One hand around the barrel!

Yep. Hot mess. Lots of slow work on the pattern and lots of work off pattern in our bosal or snaffle got us working together better on the pattern. I did eventually have to switch out those crappy nylon reins because she couldn't feel my hands and I couldn't feel her mouth. We're used to reins with better feel.

Here we are more recently. Our second barrel can still be trouble. I think I need to set her up better for it, but I go with her better, and I'm not afraid to give her her head. Unfortunetly our barrel racing adventures are over until probably next year.
    IMG_1500.JPG
    IMG_1498.JPG
    IMG_1487.jpg
    Yes. She pins her ears. "Game face" during launch and between the barrels, ears prick at the barrel "yay! Turn!" Then back to game face. And repeat. Then we stop and she's prick eared, prancy, and proud of herself. We've still got a ways to go. I forget how to ride in the heat of the moment. I need more competition experience. And, of course, lots of fine tuning to both of us off pattern.

So there is mine! Where are yours? :D If you play, I'll post more! :p

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

@BluemoonOKy got anything fun to contribute? :D

@RelaxMax i know you and max have had some awesome bumps in the road.

3. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I have used all kinds of "bad" bits and "bad" equipment per the members on this board.

4. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

You asked for it.... lol
    This is a 16 year old me pulling my poor mare around the barrel with a TT in her mouth and a tie down on her face.
    Hey, every one uses tie downs. And a TT was a "western snaffle" so it was ok!!

Don't worry. I learned and my mare has forgiven me. We don't deserve these creatures.

Attached Files:

5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Then by all means! Share away! :D

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Epic!!

7. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Or when we newly acquired our ottb gelding. We thought it would be no big deal to ground tie him outside his pen so he could get greener grass. He had no idea what ground tying was! He's fresh off the track.
    So he gets tangled, is certain he is going to die so he lays down and gives up hope.
    We go un tangle him and put him away. :blushing:

Or how vet checks and chiro visits weren't necessary. It's not like we do high level stuff.. so for years our mare was probably aching from being out of alignment and our gelding had inflamed stifles since we bought him and took us 4 months to realize. Wasn't until the saint started crow hopping at the canter before we realized something must have been off.
    That was all years ago. But still. I feel so bad about what I have put them through.

It was 'cute' how our old mare stood. One leg kicked under her.
    IMG_1774.jpg
    Didn't occur to us it could be due to her hips being out of whack. Well they were. She stands like this now. Much better.
    IMG_1775.JPG

kodemiester and RelaxMax like this.
  8. E90Style

E90Style Senior Member

HA! I dont think I've ever posted one photo on here where I'm doing everything 100% correct :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cry::cry:

secuono and Arem like this.
  9. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I have to have a look through my other phone. I've done some pretty dodgy things with fatty, some because I caved to pressure from "trainers" some because of my own stupidity. Right now this is a pic of pony with an elevator and a Mexican (no curb chain to speak of) after a small house competition, took that bit off same day haven't put it back on since. As difficult as he can be he is the most forgiving little guy ever, I know 100% I confused the hell out of him and hurt him some in that bit.

Attached Files:

Arem likes this.
  10. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Let's see and laugh and cry together! :p