The Libby Logs

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by kodemiester, Sep 23, 2018.

1. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Thank you for the helpful critique. Ugh yes, that dreaded inside leg. I know I've been doing something wrong with it, but haven't quite been able to put my finger on it, so thank you for that. Agree with the pushing my toes up, and using my seat more, I've been finding this really helps her balance better once she's into the lope... which I've been trying to do it at the walk and trot as well. Ive also been trying to hold her shoulder up and support her on the short ends of the arena when we are loping because she likes to duck her shoulder/body down and fly around the corner because I KNOW she's unbalanced. Part of it I think is me not being 100% balanced either (which I'm trying to be more aware of!!), but I also think she is still gaining balance/muscle to hold her self better as well. The straightaways seem to be easier for her. Feet are a work in progress.. they were a mess when she arrived, but look much better already.

I wanted to get her out into the outdoor this fall to ride so she has more room to do some loping, but looks like that idea is shot for now. We got snow last night (not much but roads are definitely icy) and its going to be COLD the rest of the week. High's in the 20's... which is not my fun idea of riding outside... we will see if we get a good snow covering this winter, I might try riding her outside for a few minutes. She is also still pretty nekkid in the hair wise department. Not that I'm complaining but that will call for some thicker blankets if she doenst grow any. I'm hoping next spring before the bugs hit to get her out trail riding some.. its good for getting them used to life and a good change from riding in an arena

Im also planning on trying to loose some weight and gain muscle myself by joining the gym. Hopefully i can stick with it!

My motivation to ride last night was not there, so I attempted to sack her out with a grain bag last night... she was more interested in biting it and trying to figure out if there was more food left in it. :rolleyes:

BluemoonOKy likes this.
  2. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Look on that training resources thread I started...lots of free stuff there for working on position...good riding is good riding and the kind of boots, tack and discipline doesn't really matter so even the dressage stuff can help if ya know what I mean...I would like to see her doing more transitions. Do you know how to do haunches in and shoulder in ? Like working on a 3 track, I think y'all westerners call it...lol...do not hold her shoulder up, support it and balance yourself to help her hold it up herself. My mare gets very on her left shoulder sometimes and, lordy she is sneaky about it, we are working on it. Working on square halts will help you a ton too. So much to work on, you got a lifetime !!! Just keep having fun and making sure she is having fun doing it, that is what really matters.

3. kodemiester

I will start working on more transitions with her. Ive been switching it up when I'm loping her on what gait I break her down to.. will have to start going more of that. Hmm. I think I know how to do the haunches and shoulder in. I will do some research before I go ride tonight.. speaking of - I got the "ok" from my trainer to be able to ride her with out having some one there.. which is a good thing. I will try to update with a video tonight and how she does with the shoulders in.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  4. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

IMHO, don't worry about toes.....any cuing is going to be done with seat bone and yes.....CALF. That's what us WP folks do and it works. When getting sticky leads, you need to set the horse up by using your body to put THEIR body in the right position to lope off correctly and on the correct lead. What I do is....engage the outside seat bone, leg/calf further back so you feel the hip move to the inside track just a little. Inside leg remains at the girth and left your inside hand up a little so you have a slight feel of her mouth yet keeping her head straight. Sometimes, I'll just work on the cues and asking the horse to respond with moving the hip a little....then go back to moving straight. But because you have a 2YO that is learning to lope off....she needs to get used to the cues and "what's to come " when she feels them. When they are this young.....there may be trotting steps and encouragement before they lope off, but pushing them WITH the right cues is what helps them learn.

Squirt!! and kodemiester like this.
  5. kodemiester

Hm.. I think I will try some of this tonight with her. Asking her to bend/about to cue to lope off and then don't. She sure seems to pick up her leads a lot better when I get her bending and off my legs, so I think lots of this will be in store of us in tonights ride and future rides.

GotaDunQH likes this.
  6. kodemiester