The Libby Logs

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by kodemiester, Sep 23, 2018.

1. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

Ugh, don't miss the stages of teaching a horse to do showmanship. Libby was good for her first showmanship lesson last night... I pretty much just brushed her, threw her on the lungeline for a few minutes and then did some showmanship. Started out with getting her to drop her head with the chain pressure, and starting to follow my body cues with walking off. I'm hoping to get her rode tonight and do some more practice with her doing showmanship. Thursday night will probably be about the same, except I have a friend coming to take pictures of us so that will be exciting. :D

Large picture and she is standing funny, but she has been in work of some sort consistantly for about a month. Im seeing more muscling and topline. She is also SUPER slick and summer coated still.. which I'm loving lol
    F5490760-8893-4F91-9B7F-19A0DD596A2D.jpeg

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

She is just so gorgeous!
    What is it with the slew of extremely beautiful chestnuts and sorrels on this board? :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:
    Did she chip her left hind or is that a shadow?

3. kodemiester

Thank you! :) Pictures really don't do her justice, she's even prettier in person. Nope not a shadow, She chipped it.

ginster likes this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

If pics donĀ“t do her justice....:faint:

kodemiester likes this.
  5. kodemiester

Libby worked GREAT last night. Was super super happy with how she rode. Picked up the lead we had been struggling with twice undersaddle and had some really cool moments with her jog (like usual). She wants to be super soft and carry her head like a pleasure horse already, while staying collected. I had a friend come take some pics, but by the time she got to the barn the sun was pretty much gone so they arent the best. I have another friend coming out today to hopefuly take some other ones tonight. :D
    2FE4885F-8420-45DF-A5D9-E5B407E55136.jpeg EDE94717-8EE1-45EC-B8D1-A45ACDF91D00.jpeg A7984364-E431-433E-BBBA-030327F7B50E.jpeg

6. kodemiester

Weekly Libby video... had a pretty good ride tonight. Missed the left lead once, but we got it picked back up pretty quick. There was something about the one side of the arena that she didn't like tonight, but oh well. I tried to work her through it. Picked up the right lead nicely tonight though. Her jog is really coming along nicely with out me really trying to do anything to it lol I worked on more showmanship Sunday night.. she is a smart cookie but we have a loooong ways to go with that.

Sorry about the shakey video.. I told my friend she was going to get herself fired for video skills tonight. :willynilly:

7. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

Love what I'm seeing so far!!!

kodemiester likes this.
  8. kodemiester

Not a whole lot to update on Libby.. she got close to six days off give or take, because I had to work a couple evenings, and I caught a pretty bad cold so didn't feel like riding her. Rode her Saturday & yesterday (Sunday), and she was really good... think the six days off did her some good. I started to get her a little more respectful of my leg, by getting her to move her shoulder and stay between my legs.. think I will continue this week with getting her more responsive and off my legs when I ask.. that definitely seems to help her correct leads.

If anyone has any suggestions to help get her more responsive of my leg cues I'm all game to hear them and switch things up.

Pictures below are from Halloween.. she was not real thrilled with me "dressing" her up but she looked cute. :D

1E27D72D-6782-4117-956E-6EC49D81227D.jpeg 653FF26B-BA78-441D-B7A0-632C7B357991.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. kodemiester

Updated Libby body picture. I cant wait to see what she looks like as a 3yr old next year. :love:
    55B9CF19-41FC-4641-8E56-3C35AABE4E2B.jpeg

GONE ROPING, Squirt!!, Arem and 3 others like this.
  10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

I'm going to critique you a little bit to help you out...
    She can't get her left lead because you are pulling your left (inside) leg back too far which blocks that hind from being able to come under her center of mass, and not supporting her ribcage by keeping your leg there and quiet so she can bend. (You also do this when she goes right lead with your inside leg) Get your toes up and use your seat more instead of your calf (I know all about this because it's what I work on with myself...lol) so think about lifting your toes up so that you're not on or relying on the stirrups at all to get a feel for this lift...and give the inside rein more forward when you ask so the inside hind isn't being blocked. More support with your outside hip and rein will allow her to bend better at the poll. Support before bend because she is not being in which is putting too much weight on her outside shoulder. Ride more from seat and core to lift horse up so you get her core and then her back so then she can bend better. Also, LOOK UP!!!especially through your transitions so you don't lose your balance transitioning.
    You know I will have to mention the feet...make sure they're not too long and underrun because that can cause those quarter chips.
    She's a beautiful mare and you're doing a Great job...just a few little tweaks will make it so much better. Good job mentioning the showmanship. Not a skip to step and it will help you in your under saddle work.