The Last 2 years...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0442.JPG I was lucky to have two lessons this week and thankfully the weather held up for both though it was pretty cold. First one was not one of my better days, I hadn't ridden in a week and my body was kind of crooked and I was on a challenging horse in a big group. I had a couple meh moments and didn't really get to end on a good note since the lesson was so big. After the lesson I was getting into my self-assault mode where I constantly bombard myself with criticism. Not good and I am working through that, it's no fun to always be under that kind of pressure! Today I came out and got out Chessie, who is currently cooking up an abscess so just groomed him and spoiled him with treats and decided to ride Sasha in the lesson. She was really good and I think it was good to ride a more straightforward horse to let me build my confidence a little. It was the first time I had jumped her since the summer, and she was a little stiff but nicely forward and responsive to my aids. She and I really get along well and I enjoy riding her a lot!
    Pics are of the hairy monster Chess giving his best mare eye.

ginster, doublelranch and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Self assault mode.. :rofl:

Ok, but now Stop That-!!

Thanks for the giggle though. :)

Pony123 likes this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I had a lesson yesterday which went well. I rode Sasha and worked on bending, and forward motion. I'm trying to be more aware of my body when riding which is hard because there are so many different things to be aware of! I saw where Chess was buried which was hard to think about. Just 2 weeks ago I took those pics up there and he was healthy and alive. I took his bridle home to keep as a memory. I'm going to polish it up and hang it in my room. My BO said she told the two little girls who rode him alot most recently and the littlest started crying when she heard. :( Anyway, hoping the weather will stay nice so I can ride more!

4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

He really was one of a kind. Look how many lives he touched...I'd be very proud to have been his human.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Peaty

Peaty Senior Member

Having been in a spot where a horse I rode regularly but didn't own passed, I am very thankful for the time his owner shared such a wonderful horse with me.

Chess certainly made some girls days!

Alsosusieq2 and Pony123 like this.
  6. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I rode two horses today which was awesome since the weather was really nice finally! First I rode the appy pony, as Sasha's old leasor came out to ride her while she was in town. It was really cool to see them together again. Pony was good, a little wiggly, but he wasn't bracing on the reins and when I asked for contact, he took the bit without pulling on it. Also a consequence I think, of me focusing more on being relaxed through my arms. Secondly, I rode my friend's lease horse, a big warmblood who can be a bit quirky and hates to jump. This was the first time I'd ridden him except for trotting around bareback in the rain last week. He was so much more fun to ride than I expected!! He's a big mover and has a lot of natural dressage talent. He collected really nicely and we did a lot of 20m circles at the trot and canter. He really helped me feel what real contact feels like and how to keep a bend. I'm really happy about how the ride went and hope I can ride him in a lesson some time!
    Also, I tried to take a picture of my new halter I got but it turned out to be terrible lighting and then my phone died.

ginster, doublelranch and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0536.JPG So I hadn't ridden in a month until today due to a long recovery from the flu and terrible weather so I was so glad to get and wrap my arms around a horse! Sasha was great for not having been out in a month either, she was a little stiff but she worked out of that fine and we had some good moments with nice bend. She looks great in her new halter and we discovered that candy canes are her favorite treat:love:

Alsosusieq2, doublelranch and ginster like this.
  8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Had a great first lesson back today. After a week of icky temps we now have one of straight 65 degrees so yay! Rode in a t-shirt today! Both me and Sash were pretty out of shape, but I tend to be more relaxed when I first get back after a break so I actually thought I rode pretty well! We did a 4 jump cloverleaf pattern which was confusing to my brain for a while but I actually got the hang of it and it was fun! I felt very centered in my position today and I think sash responded to that by being more relaxed. Have another lesson tomorrow, I'll try to get some pics of me riding.

doublelranch, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I went out and rode again today after a busy week. Between starting college classes, studying for the SAT, and keeping up with other school work, I haven't had a lot of time to ride outside of my lesson and the weather tends to not cooperate on the days I can ride :/ I don't know how I'll get time when I actually have a job and real life! I felt very stiff in my legs today, I think it was because I went hiking the day before. Anyway I tried to stretch them out by doing some two point and sitting trot. One thing I felt I did improve on today is consistent contact. I had her nicely bent and in a relaxed hunter frame today which is a big accomplishment because this horse does not bend easily at all! It was great to the left but still a little rusty to the right as my body is built where my right hip is forward, making it harder for me to allow the mare to bend with my body. I'm planning on doing some stretches on the exercise ball to help with that. I love this mare so much and she gives me a ton of confidence and drive to go to the barn. I struggle with depression, especially during the winter but there is no better antidepressant than going out on a warm day and giving a soft horse scratches. :love:
    Failed Selfie
    20190215_131421.jpg

Attempt at a cute headshot but she was not having it...

20190215_101058.jpg

doublelranch, equinitis and ginster like this.
  10. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Had an awesome ride today!! Everything just felt really solid, especially our canter work! We had one really great round where everything just felt together and smooth, and my leg stayed in place. Of course I forgot to film it. :rolleyes:Second one was still pretty good but we had a discussion over the first jump, after that she woke up but was a little backed off. All the pics are from my second round. 20190305_173911.jpg Screenshot_20190305-173533_Video Player.jpg

Attached Files:

ginster and doublelranch like this.