The Last 2 years...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPG The show went really well! Another girl rode the appy pony and they were champion in baby greens so congrats to them! I rode the pony in my avatar, he's a 14.1h paint pony. Our first division was the 2'3" hopeful hunter class. I wasn't really warmed up, basically had to hop on and then jump a course and I wasn't really feeling his rhythm. We had some good lines but two bad chips that cost us. Second course was better but the pony is blind in one eye and spooked at a hay bale and ran out which also cost that class. Totally my fault, I should have found a better angle. I wondered after that division whether I should scratch my eq class since it wasn't going great but I decided since I knew the course and the jumps weren't very high, I should try it. Well, I'm glad I did. I learned from my past two classes to let the pony find his own rhythm and to let him take a longer distance to the jump and not to micro manage him. The course was really turny but we got all our leads and distances... but I forgot to halt. I was pretty disappointed because it had been a nice round but then the kid after me forgot to halt too and they placed me second after the flat call back! I had a second chance to get the course right in the medal final which we got a second as well in my first class of that type which I was very happy with and pleased with the pony. (He's worth his weight in gold, he'll pack kids around all day) I gave him a break and then got to try him over a few of the XC jumps to build my confidence, we even tried one BN fence which looked pretty big, but felt great!

2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Congrats!!

Pony123 likes this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_6936.JPG Today I got to the barn and as soon as I got out of the car, the heavens opened up.... there seems to be a theme lol
    I went and pulled out my 28yo, Chessie who is mostly retired and I don't get him out much except to do general care because he is pastured far away and he's kind of a butt to bring down because he's kind of attached to his buds. Anyway today he was really good and led nice and quietly, didn't act like a stud colt (y) I didn't want to ride the other horses in the downpour so I took Chess out and played around with a halter on, which was nice. Just what I needed. I get really anxious when I ride and my perfectionism kicks in when I make mistakes and I just needed to let go and have fun. So I was running around in the pouring rain with my 28yo pony following me over tiny jumps lol, I probably looked like an idiot, but it was nice to just have fun and not care about whether my knees were gripping or if my hands were in the right position. I also hopped on bareback with a halter and he was great:D

4. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I haven't updated in a while but I may have some potentially exciting news regarding a possible free lease on a friends horse. I'm trying her on Saturday so fingers crossed.
    Anyway, I've been riding a variety of different horses this past month. I took my trainer's warmblood on her first trail ride (she was absolutely perfect and loved it!) I ride the appy pony a lot outside of lessons but I took him in a lesson and realized how far he's come since he first came to the barn. He's soft and not bracing on the bit, pleasantly forward and pretty straight (he's a baby lol) down jumping lines. I did have a baby moment with him the other day. He's normally not very spooky but he does have the occasional spook. We were trotting around the ring and we go past the corner for maybe the 15th time that day and he leaps in the air sideways. I was really focusing on having a base of support through my legs, so I guess its good that I did because I was able to stay on. He came right back afterward and I brought him back around to see what the heck spooked him and it was the mounting block:rolleyes::cautious: But I was proud of myself because a year ago, I would have tensed up for the rest of the ride and not wanted to do more. But I was able to send him forward and focus on actually riding.

5. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0353.jpg Here's a pic of me trying the horse. We are unsure yet whether we are going to get her- still have to talk to BO and do some other stuff but she was a doll and hadn't been ridden in 4 months, pulled her out and she was completely perfect. A rabbit ran out of the long grass right in front of her and I think it scared me more than her, she just flicked an ear. Please no crit, it's a work in progress, I know :)

Bakkir, RelaxMax, Alsosusieq2 and 2 others like this.
  6. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Ooohhhh, pretty!!!

Pony123 likes this.
  7. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0362.JPG 3rd place in a big group at our combined test! 36 in dressage and clear in SJ even with a very sloppy ring! Pony was perfect!

8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

The clinic was awesome!! She worked us for a solid hour and I am very sore but feeling great about what I accomplished. First thing she did was make everything more forward which definitely helped me feel a contact. Then we did circles, focusing on bend and impulsion, by the end of the lesson, I was vastly improved even from a week ago! We also did a lot of leg yields and practiced pushing them out on the circle at the canter. I'm taking Advil now lol because that was a workout!

doublelranch and ginster like this.
  9. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0394.JPG Finally have some decent weather here so I can ride more! I got Sasha out and groomed her really well and did her mane. She may be spicy under saddle but she is a dream to work with on the ground, and she is very sweet and personable:love: Then I rode her and she was feeling calm so I did a little no-stirrups. I don't want to do a lot every time because I don't want it to enforce my gripping with the knee but I think doing a little in the correct position every ride will be beneficial. I also worked on not being afraid to go more forward and she accepted the bit nicely from me and though it's not as consistent as I would like, I think I'm definitely on the path to progress. Still having problems grabbing my outside rein though.

doublelranch and ginster like this.
  10. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0423.JPG I had a wonderful ride today! I did most of it without stirrups and she was very relaxed and balanced and not bracey on the reins. I tried to pay attention to how my body felt so I can apply that to my rides with stirrups. My canter seat was much better because I think I brace in my stirrups and this let me feel it more from my seat. I can barely walk now-- I'm pretty out of shape but I felt much better about my ride.

SparkleDust, doublelranch and ginster like this.