The Last 2 years...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Pony123, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Since I have 2 years left in high school and I am *finally* getting to achieve my goal of riding four days a week I thought I would make a thread to update with my progress. The last two years my riding has been sort of erratic with 2 days a week being the most every week but this year I have started a half lease payment on any school horse. So basically I just ride whoever is available. My pony is retired from riding due to some problems with tripping and arthritis so this gives me a chance to ride different horses. My goals for this year are to become more confident, to strengthen my leg position, and to learn to override some conformation issues I have that end up putting my body in weird places on a horse. (My mom jokes that I'd never pass a broodmare inspection XD) I will try to remember pics because I know that is required but I'm so bad at remembering... :)
    I rode today on the appy pony at the barn, he's young but very willing and we worked on using my outside rein through turns and not letting my leg slide back at the trot. Then my trainer let me get on her really nice warmblood mare and boy was that cool! She felt like butter at the canter. She is also young but should turn out really nice.
    Included is a pic of the pony that I rode. IMG-0251.JPG

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Cute Pony face~!!
    The more often you ride the better you'll get. Don't be goal oriented, just ride and let the amalgamation of two bodies and souls begin.

Pony123 likes this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Thanks! I think I need to do that more because I tend to get frustrated with myself for not instantly fixing my problems or improving. I never take it out on the horse but its hard for me not to take it out on myself which ends up being counterproductive.

manesntails likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

People who get to be really good riders ARE very hard on themselves.

But here's the thing.

They don't keep beating themselves up. They are hard on themselves, but that just makes them work harder, plan better, and get more done.

They work very hard. Often. Really hard. They really, really discipline themselves and they WORK. HARD.

One of the best rider/trainers in the US gave a riding clinic here. He started riding horses at 6:30 am, he ate his lunch while he was teaching, he taught and rode til about 8pm, then he ate dinner quickly, was really friendly and social to everyone, then called back to his own farm and spent 2 hrs on the phone with his employees, then he went to bed and got up at 6 am and did it all over again. And it was 18 degrees in the arena where everyone was riding. Someone told me, 'he just married money' and I laughed myself silly. The guy worked like a DOG. I asked him if he'd take a day off when he got back to his farm and he just laughed.

However good someone wants to be, that's how hard they work.

They arrange their lives so they CAN work really hard. That could mean selling 4 out of 5 of one's horses, selling the farm and boarding with a trainer, it might mean being a working student or even not riding while in college for 4 yrs...it COULD mean a lot of things.

Years ago my friend was complaining to a top trainer that she 'couldn't get anywhere.' She had so many responsibilities and so little time. She didn't have enough money, etc....the trainer said, 'I was you 30 years ago.'

Alsosusieq2, NaeNae and Pony123 like this.
  5. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0263.JPG Sooo... I had a lesson today which was really nice because I got to ride my trainers warmblood again which was a treat because I got to jump a few lines on her :loveflag:but after 45 min it started to pour and the ring looked like this 5 min after we got off

wpgrider, Larkspade and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Wow! It'll be awhile before that dries out. Are you near the hurricane with more coming or just a victim of one of Mother Nature's fits?

Alsosusieq2 and Pony123 like this.
  7. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

This was from Mother Nature but the bad part is the hurricane is supposed to dump rain on us too later this week so it will be extra saturated which puts us at risk for flooding :(

slc and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

Well stay safe. I live in the Midwest, but I think I am stressing a bit just thinking what it would be like to be in the middle of the hurricane. I have two trailers. A 3 and 4 horse, but I have 10 I would have to evacuate. I wish I could help.....donations it is.

Pony123 and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

IMG_0265.JPG Rode the appy pony again today! This ride was much more comfortable than the first couple I had on him. I felt like he was truely moving forward and responding to my cues ( I also felt like my cues were much clearer today as well) he gets the right lead really well but still has trouble with the left. I tried unsuccessfully a couple times to get the left lead and when we finally got it, I let him canter around and then quit on that. Overall it went much better and I was really happy with him!

ginster and doublelranch like this.
  10. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Thank goodness the hurricane practically missed us, got a little bit of rain but nothing dangerous. I actually rode between bands of rain that came around last week and it was wonderful because it was cool and there weren't any flies lol. Was disappointed to hear that the mare that I have been riding and was so excited to show is on rest for an injury for 6wks now and we will miss the entire fall season :( But... I am going to show the pony in my avatar and take the appy pony around for experience this weekend at a local show which I am looking forward to! Definitely not expecting any great results but just a fun exposure type show.

doublelranch likes this.