The Importance of "Playing"

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Touch the Sky, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

I've really been learning a lot with Rhaegar lately, and technically, we haven't even had our first official "lesson" yet.
    He has been teaching me to be quieter in my aids. Hes teaching me to have a lighter seat (with annie, she preferred more of a full contact seat if that makes sense. Liked to have your leg around her to help guide and support, like to lean on the bit etc. Its a whole new world riding the dragon)
    and with annie, she is always ALWAYS down to be serious and get'er done. But Rhaegar, he NEEDS his play days. One day a week, i don't pick on him about his headset, or if hes tracking up. I dont worry about his bend or if hes perfectly straight. I don't nitpick myself either. I don't hyper focus on my equitation for just that day.
    And we play. We do crazy stupid things, or we don't do anything at all. We chase each other around the arena, or i give him a super long spa day. But for that day, there is no "training" like we usually do it. We just are. And we do whatever strikes our fancy.
    And yesterday, we tried taking the bridle off for the first time outside a round pen and past the walk. And he LOVED IT. He was so happy, even the wonderful gal i had taking videos commented on it.
    Six months ago i never would have DREAMED of doing this with him because we didn't trust each other yet. But now? He travels around like an old pro sans bridle. 'Just another play day, right ma?; don't worry, i got this. You chill, this is fun'.
    It just reminds me of how important it is, in my opinion to play with our horses too. How crucial it can be for some of them to have that break, where they just get to goof around with us. I don't know how you guys feel about it, but man, he has really opened my eyes up to that.

2. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

I think this gets missed a lot. I know that I do. I think that Hope and Remi will definitely benefit a lot from having "play days" where they can learn to just enjoy the company and companionship rather than worrying about what they are going to be asked to do.

You and Rhaegar look like you were having a blast! I've kind of been in love with him ever since you got him, such a handsome boy!

kodemiester, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  3. Touch the Sky

Thank you so much! You just made my day! Its been a total roller coaster these past few months but i really do think he is going to be worth every second. I think that he is the kind of horse that will give you his heart and soul if you are patient enough to earn it.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  4. barrel_racer64

barrel_racer64 Senior Member

He definitely seems like a pretty special boy! I'm glad that he found someone that is so focused on HIM and working with his mentality rather than trying to force him into their "program." But, you don't post nearly enough pictures of him!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. Touch the Sky

I'm quite terrible at remembering to lol! But you can follow the facebook page I started a while back for him and Annie! I try to update that a couple times a week. It's called The Well Broke Equestrian!

6. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

Play is so important! Fun is so important! And most importantly, the relationship is so important! Kudos to you! Connection means something!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I do this with Max, and I honestly think it's a healthy part of a routine to just not always be focused on right, right, right.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.