The HeartBreak and Indesicion of Selling Your Horse...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by jackandlylah, Jan 2, 2010.

1. jackandlylah

jackandlylah Senior Member

Jack is for sale.
    He was my first horse, he is my BEST friend, he taught me everything I know.
    And I have outgrown him.
    I put him up for sale, just to kinda see what would happen... But now that people are riding him and getting vet checks on him, I feel like I might be making a HUGE mistake in selling my beautiful baby boy.
    I am so scared that if I sell him, I will never again find that connection and love and trust that I share with Jack.
    I love him so much and I know it is time to move on, both because of my size (and I'm still growing!) and because it's time for me to broaden my skills and learning.
    I just don't know! I probably sound really stupid saying this, it's just so hard and I needed to tell other horsey people, hopefully someone will understand. My non-horsey family thinks I'm crazy for caring so much about an "animal". They just don't GET it!
    And I'm also SO scared that he might go to a home where he isn't taken care of properly or loved and cared for the way I love and care for him. I feel guilty just letting him go...
    Aaaaaaarggggh! This is so hard!

2. ImDunToImpress

ImDunToImpress Senior Member

This is normal to go through for a horse you have special connections with, you and Jack have a bond, and you feel guilty and obligated to him for even thinking about selling him. Personally, I have been in this position...and I sold a d*mn good horse that I know went to a good home, but I still miss him to this day. That was years ago and I wish I never would have let him go. I was the same way, I outgrew him, wanted something I could advance with and learn more with. I ended up in a couple accidents, and with a couple horses that were way too much for me to handle and I just wish I would have hung on to my one special boy! Thankfully, I just recently found a mare who totally matches everything I loved about my gelding, and then some. But it took years...the heartbreak got worse and worse.

It is your own decision really, you will find another horse that you will bond with, that's no doubt. Horses are all over out there looking for someone to love them as much as they want to give love! It may take a long time to find the "right" one to replace your special guy. If I had the room, I would keep Jack until I found another horse, and then consider selling him =)

3. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

You could also sell him with a first right of refusal contract.

4. jackandlylah

Thank you... its just such an emotionally difficult thing to do.
    I just want him to go to a GOOD home.

5. Wild Mustang

Wild Mustang Full Member

Trust your gut...its all i can say..

I have had my TB mare for 10 years ever since she was broken and as a race horse at the age of barely 2.

I have gone through so much with her and our bond is soo strong the thought of selling her would kill me!... Because of her injuries she can only really now be a light riding horse... but she is the one i will keep till she gets old and passes on!...

I'm on the hunt for my new competition horse as Forever cannot be that.... but i will still keep her forever :)

6. jackandlylah

That's the problem... my gut is saying "what the heck are you doing? don't sell him! he is the love of you life!" haha... but my mind tells me, its time to move on skill wise and I'm simply too big for him...
    I guess that logic prevails... but it is AWFUL.
    I just took a deposit on him from a lady 9 hours away. She sounds lovely.
    I feel so, so heart broken.
    Its such a terrible thing!

7. SweetChilli

SweetChilli Senior Member

Trust me i know that feeling all to well!:( I sold my pony in July for many reasons but one of them being that i was too big for her. The day i got the email saying that they would be collecting her that week i was devastated...especially as they lived 7 hours away. All of my logic went out of the window and i felt like shouting at them please don't take her away shes mine, unfortunately my mind won, but like you my gut was telling me no! don't sell her!

I still miss her everyday but i decided it was time for her to go somewhere where she would be used everyday with someone who loved just as much as i did/do.

I'm sure Jack will go to a lovely home! Maybe ask if they can keep in touch? Send a photo or 2 sometimes? The lady who bought my pony sent me an email a couple of months ago, apparently Chilli is very happy and it was then that i realised although it broke my heart i had made the right decision.