The Foster Pet Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Binca, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Does anyone else foster animals? I wanted to start a thread to share photos and stories about my foster babies. I foster for RSPCA South Australia. At this stage I foster rabbits and kittens.

If anyone else fosters I would love to see your photos/stories here too! :)

Currently I have four fosters - two rabbits, and two kittens.

Foster Bun 1 is Ginny. She originally came to me a few months ago along with her two male siblings because they were found as strays but were too young to spay/neuter. So they stayed with me until they were all ready - they went back for desexing about a month ago. Her brothers, Fred and George, stayed together as a bonded pair and were adopted out to a wonderful family a couple of weeks ago. Sadly Ginny did not cope well being separated from her brothers. She was still eating, but was really depressed and lost a lot of weight. So she came back home with me into foster, and I put her in a play pen next to Foster Bun 2 - Gandalf so she could see another rabbit. She perked up right away and went back to her old self but with a side of passive aggressiveness - a trick some bunnies use as a form of "I'm happier than you LOOK AT ME PLAY AND NAP IN SUCH A HAPPY MANNER HAHHAHAHAHA!!". I have since bonded them, because I plan to adopt them once they are vet cleared.

Here is a photo of Fred (left), Ginny (middle), and George (right) the day they came to me.
    [​IMG]

Foster Bun 2 also has a bit of a story but I'll try to keep it short. Gandalf came in late one day as a stray but he couldn't eat because his front teeth were so over grown, so he came home with me to be syringe fed. Over the next 3 weeks until he was booked in for teeth removal, his teeth grew back so fast they had to be trimmed 3 times. They also twisted so badly that his jaw was not lined up properly and one of the peg teeth (tiny teeth that grow behind top incisors) was bent badly and the other was shattered. He has recovered well from his surgery and is now awaiting his final vet check. The vets suspect he is a senior bun, around 8 years old. He is now bonded to Ginny and I will adopt them together.

Here is a photo of Gandalf asleep in my arms - this was taken a couple of days before teeth surgery.
    [​IMG]

And here are a couple of photos of them together - they aren't the best quality, I'll see if I can get nicer ones later
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'll share kitten photos in the next post. :)

Arem, Larkspade, Alsosusieq2 and 3 others like this.
  2. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I currently have two foster kittens - Gohan and Ritzu (my husband named them after anime characters). They aren't related, but Gohan was so shy and scared that he was given Ritzu (the exact opposite of shy and scared) to bring out his confidence. Gohan has gone from hissing when anyone comes near to running around playing and letting people pick him up for cuddles whenever they like - and falling asleep in their arms. Ritzu has gone from friendly, super confident, incredibly active, insisting she isn't tired when she is, to even more confident, crazy, active, and totally-never-tired. They were approximately 4-5 weeks old when I got them so probably 7-8 weeks now. I think Gohan may be a little younger than Ritzu.

This is Ritzu:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And this is Gohan meeting Gandalf:
    [​IMG]

Gohan is a super tough brave kitten now. So brave in fact, that he managed to catch the sunlight that was on the floor. (y)(y):cheerleader: I haven't managed to upload the video here but it is on my instagram if anyone wants to see it - @biancavandenberg

Saph, wpgrider and ginster like this.
  3. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

Just picked up my first foster cat / kitten Jumanji yesterday! Poor guy had really bad frostbite on his ears and tail so needed surgery, but he still loves people. Figured it's be a good first foster because I'm sure he'll be gone in no time. He's in quarantine for a week because he's got a bad cold but so far my other cat seems very unimpressed. Any tips on intros? It's been a long time and honestly I thought the foster would be the issue but he's very very chill (at least for now).
    IMG_20180413_181216_648.jpg 20180414_143055.jpg

Binca likes this.
  4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Someday I want to foster, after I get the house though so not going to be in the cards soon.

Binca likes this.
  5. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I thought I should update this thread!

Gohan and Ritzu went beck for successful desexing and have both since been adopted out to loving homes.

I recently officially adopted Gandalf and Ginny when the vet cleared Gandalf because none of his teeth grew bacck.

I fostered 3 kittens (Aladdin, Jasmine, and Mulan) who went back for desexing the other week and this weekend have presumably been adopted out as part of a cat/kitten promotion the RSPCA are doing.

So now I have something a bit different. A rat. She had a bit of a respiratory infection - and rats don't do well at the shelter with those so they decided to try fostering her. I have her for 5 weeks - 4 weeks on medication and 1 off. So far it has been a week and a half and she no longer shows any signs of being sick. She is super friendly and cuddly. My husband wanted to give her a pirate name so I suggested Elizabeth Swann - so now she is known as Elizarat. :rofl: I don't have any photos yet - she doesn't stay still long enough. But I think my husband got one the other day I'll check when he gets home.

The other day I also was given another kitten to foster. I have named her Ace - after a Dr Who companion. She is anywhere between 6-10 weeks old, but is incredibly underweight. She was found soaking wet in a storm drain and brought to the shelter. She is very shy but not at all aggressive and is starting to really love cuddles and face/chin/cheek rubs. I do have some photos of her, which I will upload soon. Now that she has had a couple of days inside a warm house with good food she is starting to groom herself and move around a little bit more. Not heaps, but it's a good start.:loveflag:

Larkspade, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I could totally foster kitties!!:love: well probably more like adopt, because i love kitties!!:sneaky:

But at this point, i don't want to stress my senior cat, so i'm holding off until. ...

I did try to foster a dog, but i knew the time she got there that she wasn't appropriate for me. She tore up my dog pen in several places, then when she'd get out she dragged everything into the yard, she'd stay under my horse trailers and i was afraid she'd chew the wiring (Been there, done that, paid a big bill), dug holes, then you couldn't catch her to put her back in the pen, she'd stay just out of arms reach, we had to try over 30 minutes until she was focused on me and my mom grabbed her. I told the rescue lady to come get her before she got out again. Thats why i'm not a big dog person, too much destruction.

Is Elizarat the big white one? I used to have 2 when i was younger. They were cool. :cool:

Binca and ginster like this.
  7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Rats are cool animals. So fricking clever!
    But I don´t think I could deal with their short life span.
    Losing kitties and dogs is tough enough but every two, three years? Oof..

Binca likes this.
  8. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

My second foster was adopted finally! She was a cutie and SUPER sweet but really didn't like other cats or dogs so the house was a bit crazy.
    upload_2018-7-24_10-0-37.png

Binca, ginster and Larkspade like this.
  9. Binca

Binca Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This is Ace last night. Loves her belly being played with. Enjoys sitting on my lap and watching other animals do the playing. She is getting a little more confident herself though, and last night for the first time tried exploring a short distance from her hidey hole.

[​IMG]
    This is Elizarat Swann. She loves to not stay still long enough to get a good photo of her.

Arem, endurgirl and ginster like this.
  10. DriftwoodsQHs

DriftwoodsQHs Senior Member

Our latest foster from the local high kill shelter, Holly! She was found on the border of an Indian reservation and brought in with her puppies about 2 months ago. All of the puppies got adopted quickly, but she has been extremely fearful at the shelter so hasn’t attracted much attention from potential adopters. She’s such a sweet girl, but so submissive and cowers everytime you reach out to pet her. At the shelter she was full-body trembling and crawling around when we took her out on a leash :(

37BF07CC-1FDA-4463-A68D-CD1DAA150144.jpeg

Arem, ginster, peg4x4 and 2 others like this.