1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

The dressage journal of someone who has never competed before

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Binca, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Thanks, I like the third to last and second to last photos a lot. That was right near the end of the lesson when I was really getting it. Poor Josh worked so hard - that arena is very deep in places! I am looking forward to regular lessons again. I have all the nice competition gear I need now, so I am hoping in a few months time I am ready to take Josh or Ciarra out to some low level stuff to get the hang of it! Maybe Josh to start with because he is used to show environments.

2. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Update: unfortunately after that first lesson I haven't been able to risk paying for any more. My husband did a nasty on his knee, fracturing something and tearing his ACL. He will be off work for a long time while he recovers. So while we will survive financially, I can't justify spending money on lessons. I am riding and focusing on what I did learn in that one lesson on both Josh and Ciarra, and I'll try to post update/maybe critique photos on occasion until I can get lessons again.

3. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

So sorry, life just sucks sometimes.

GONE ROPING and Binca like this.
  4. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I'm trying to look at it from the perspective that it could be a lot worse. Fortunately after an operation and lots of recovery time my husband will be okay and back to normal. I can still ride even if I can't get lessons. We will still have enough income to afford owning the horses, even if it's tight for a bit. And my instructor will be there when I can afford her again.

mooselady and magic_rider like this.
  5. magic_rider

magic_rider Senior Member

I've been wondering when we would get an update from you. I hope you can get back to lessons soon.

6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Life will do that to ya! Hope he recovers quickly!

7. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Update time!

Husband is fairly recovered. He just got the all clear to start walking again and start physio two days ago. Wahoo! Unfortunately he lost his job as a result of his injury - not that they have to admit that. Unfortunately where Husband worked they kept them on 3 months contracts as long as they could, so while they couldn't fire him, they didn't have to renew his contract. We are selling one of our cars (we were thinking of it anyway, so no big loss) to help keep us going, and he is currently looking for and applying for a new job, but probably wont be able to get one until he gets an okay from his doctor. Also it's not easy getting jobs in our state - unemployment rates are very high because there is a job shortage. We can manage for a while, but the sooner he can get a new job, the better! I have 2-3 months left of my degree and then I can go get a good job too though, yay!

In the meantime, I think mum spoke to Husband about ideas for a birthday present for me, and one of the things he suggested was a lesson voucher with my new instructor. How lucky am I?!

I chose to have my lesson on Ciarra. Despite being 5, this is Ciarra's first ever lesson. Super proud of her! We worked on a few things with how I use my body at a walk and trot. There was a spot in the area where some flying insects were hanging out all lesson - got one in my eye just as I was getting a nice trot! Thankfully halt is Ciarra's favourite thing, so got a lovely trot halt and spent a few minutes trying to get the bug out my eye. By the end of the lesson Ciarra was tired (not very fit, my fault) and tried her very best dummy spits. I even told my instructor they were her best effort. Haha! My instructor, and my friend who took photos, both laughed. Ciarra's dummy spits are pathetic. Her best effort is to stop, vaguely put her ears back, and slightly twitch her head down. Perhaps in her mind she is bucking. But it is very easy to push through, and we got past her "ultimate" dummy spit stage. :p

Here are some photos, courtesy of the same wonderful friend who took them last time!

Before the lesson - she pulls great faces when she is enjoying a scratch!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on my position at a walk first. Lucy (instructor) got me to visualise things in a different way, which really helped. Although it means I am pulling extra weird faces in the photos. :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And working on my position at a trot. Again with the weird faces. I think that's just going to be life for me. Photos are in order.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bug in the eye shot. Love this horse. Didn't move once, didn't even fidget, while I was up on board taking my glove off, probably fidgeting a bit, and saying some very impolite words. And I couldn't see out one eye very well for a moment there. Of course friend thought it was funny and took a photo! :p
    [​IMG]

Ciarra and I were both very tired by the end!
    [​IMG]

And apparently nose photos are important!
    [​IMG]

And I love this shot too - it's now being used as a promotional image. Lucy was getting me to sit on my hand and was explaining to me what I should be able to feel. Ciarra was confused at first, but then realised that while I fiddled, she got to do her favourite thing in the world - stop.
    [​IMG]

I definitely have lots of things to work on and Ciarra and I have a long way to go, but I am really happy with this lesson. No more until husband gets a job and I can afford it, but I am really, really grateful to my mum for getting me this for my birthday.

I won't even have much time to ride until after my placement which starts in just over a week. It's a 6 week placement. During that time I will only be able to ride on the weekends if I have time. After that I should be good to focus on getting Ciarra fitter and if all goes well, hopefully some lessons again too. Will see how life goes!

Sam C. and Pony123 like this.