The dressage journal of someone who has never competed before

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Binca, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Binca

Binca Senior Member

I think the over long title sums it up!

At the age of 11 (I think) I began lessons with a local well known and highly qualified dressage coach. But at that stage obviously the lessons weren't really dressage lessons, she was just teaching me to ride. I got the pleasure over the years to ride some lovely horses from an OTTB she eventually gave away because he sometimes chucked a tiny buck in so wasn't lesson suitable (she actually offered him to me, but I had just bought Ciarra), a variety of cheeky ponies, some lovely quarter horses, and even her gorgeous WB who was once on the state dressage squad.

Eventually I got my own horses and had lessons on them too, which taught me a lot.

Below is a photo of a photo of me around the age of 12, riding one of the school horses. Sadly not long after this he was PTS after a paddock accident.

[​IMG]

A few years ago I moved my horses to a different area. The instructor I had ridden with for years doesn't travel anywhere that isn't very local, and I couldn't afford regular lessons anyway. I was focused more on my uni studies and couldn't save a lot of money. I was happy just trail riding and letting Ciarra be a horse in a paddock while she was younger.

My biggest challenge with riding has always been that I don't have the best back. It isn't terrible either, I'm not after sympathy. My recent xrays showed I have reverse lordosis in my neck, scoliosis somewhere a bit further down, then below that a slight hunchback. All of these things are incredibly mild. But it's enough that I seem to have trouble feeling what I am doing sometimes, and my left hip tends to sit further back. Regular stretching and chiro is helping. But this has created a fault which has been made worse over my years of no lessons. I lean a bit too far back. I can't feel it. I feel like I am upright.

I am now in a position where I have the money for lessons again, so my friend put me onto a dressage instructor who is also a biomechanics expert - and she will travel. I had my first lesson with her yesterday which I will share in my next post. My lessons for now will be fortnightly, but I will aim for weekly when I can. I'm still a poor uni student for another 6 months!

My plan is to keep this journal updated so that I can see my progress, and anyone else interested can see/comment too.

My goal for now is to improve my position. I am taking lessons on my lovely old man Josh for now. Then my aim is to start getting lessons on Ciarra, because I would love to get her out competing one day.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Gorgeous photo and colorful pony.:)

As long as your instructor knows and works with you, it's going to be great. A decent pt also would help as you go along. Just have fun and do your best and enjoy yourself. I had a problem with a hip joint so I would get uber frustrated, but I didn't know it was a congenital problem. I had poor human conformation.;)

I'm happy you're getting back in the thick of it. :)

Sky Cloud and Binca like this.
  3. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Lesson 22nd Feb 2017

So my first lesson! My friend who put me onto this instructor came along. She is a professional photographer and decided last minute to bring her camera. I am glad she did because I can see the progress I made in one lesson - and how far back I was leaning before. I have also decided to not wear that style of shirt in a lesson again - I didn't realise how poofy it was at the back!

Here is a photo which was taken just after I hopped on. So I was just plodding around on a loose rein and talking to the instructor. Hence the lazy horse as well, I wasn't pushing him in this photo. Excuse the face. I seem to always be pulling weird faces when the camera snaps, so expect a lot more like it! But here you can really see the leaning back. I think it is a bit worse in this photo than some, but this photo clearly highlights it so I wanted to share it because to improve I need to know what I was doing that needed improving!

[​IMG]

The instructor spent a while talking to me about my position and she shortened my stirrups. I knew they were too long but I found it comfy. But now that my position is being worked on, the shorter stirrups weren't so bad.

Here is a photo when she was getting me to sit on my hand and feel what my body is doing.
    [​IMG]

Josh enjoyed this standing around working on my position bit of the lesson!
    [​IMG]

Lucy, the instructor, wasn't fussed about the reins for this lesson, she wanted me to focus on my body. So I spent most of the lesson on a loose rein.

Here I am just trying to trot for the first time in my new position. I found it super awkward at first but once I got the hang of it, it was a lot better and Josh started to go very nicely. It is a really deep arena in places so he had to work quite hard.
    [​IMG]

Starting to get the hang of it. This is half smile half weird concentration face I think!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think here is when I was making a joke about the loose reins - and then accidentally dropped them. Oops! But look how relaxed Josh is! I could really feel the difference in him as I worked on my position. I really need these lessons! I understand a lot in theory, but practice is an entirely different matter.

[​IMG]

Closer to the end of the lesson.
    [​IMG]
    Look, I can smile under saddle!

[​IMG]

And as I un tacked Josh he started to doze with his chin on the rail. Poor old man!
    [​IMG]

I spent the next 10 minutes walking with my back and shoulders in the same position I finished the lesson in! So probably more upright than when I normally walk. It honestly felt like I was leaning forwards, but apparently I was upright. I have a lot of work to do here!

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Gorgeous pics, I really like the first one, you didn't look to far back to me....but heck I'm not an instructor. I guess it comes from the fact that is what I hear most, "sit back" especially now we are asking more of Fergie, I have to sit back and deep to make sure I am working her.....

You look very tall and elegant up there, this is going to be an interesting journey

Binca likes this.
  5. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

YAY! Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing with us. I hope to see more updates from ya'll. Looking good.

Binca likes this.
  6. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Thanks everyone!

I have booked another lesson for next week. I can't wait! I'll be trying to ride as much as I can before then too, just working on what we did in the lesson.

mooselady likes this.
  7. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

Another rider with scoliosis issues here! Looking forward to this thread, maybe I can glean some tips from you ;) Think your instructor would travel to Canada?!

Binca likes this.
  8. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Your position looks lovely to me! Lol Makes me jealous! :) Looking forward to following your progress!

Binca likes this.
  9. Binca

Binca Senior Member

Thanks guys! I'm wondering how my back will look in a less puffy shirt that shows it properly! :p

Haha, good luck getting her to travel that far! :p she goes back to England a lot, not sure Canada is on the agenda. I'll definitely let you know if that changes though!

Winchester likes this.
  10. magic_rider

magic_rider Senior Member

I love that second last riding photo! I can't wait to see your progress, I started lessons a couple of years ago after having ridden for most of my life with very little instruction. I'm competing in official dressage now and having regular lessons with a fantastic instructor and couldn't be happier.

Binca likes this.