The dreaded Ton Thumb, the US version

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by GotaDunQH, Dec 20, 2018.

1. zomer

zomer Senior Member

So I tried my rockin S ported snaffle on my new horse and he (young ish - 8yo) chewed on the bit and played with it the whole time. Perfectly lovely long, low, relaxed neck (my goal) and steering as good as usual (not good, he's just green broke) and we were on trail - so mainly just all speed ahead. So, he put up no fuss, seemed to be relaxed as judged by neck position, ears, etc, but was playing/chomping on the bit the entire time. What does that say to y'all? Yah or neigh?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

You need to ride a horse at least five times in a new bit to give them a chance toget used to it.

People put a bit in and expect magic: “ Oh look~!! He likes it~!!“ If he doesn't immediately accept it, they think he doesn't like it. Well, if you just wore a helmet for the first time ever, you probably would need time to adjust to it too.

zomer likes this.
  3. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Thanks Mane - tried it again yesterday and no chewing/licking/playing. Nice relaxed head/neck and softer pace. Perhaps mikey likes it. ;)

4. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

This is not a true TT though as it has longer swept shanks.

The 1st and 3rd bits you posted above are in use on my place every time we ride. The 1st bit has very widespread use in gaming and with mule folks. I first was introduced to this combo bit as a "mule bit" as it is so widely used on mules. As already described, it has a mechanical hackamore function when fully engaged, mine are twisted wire double jointed and one even has a steel nose band.
    The 3rd bit is what I ride my mule with. She responds really well to some slight gag action and likes the shape and size of the bit. It is the same bit in your picture, right down to the sweet iron.

I don't mind that you ride your horses in a TT, whatever floats your boat. As has been pointed out though, a TT has more potential to cause pain than almost any other bit on the market because there is no signal function. When you pick up the reins, the bit is engaged. Any movement of the shanks engages the bit, any movement. Some critters are perfectly OK with that for whatever reason but most are not. Training matters in this respect as the better trained they are, the less likely they are to be OK with the bit being engaged as soon as the rider touches the reins. I pick up my reins to let my mount know a cue is coming, I don't want to put pressure on her lips, bars or tongue to let her know a cue is coming.

Even a solid curb gives a signal before engaging and if the curb strap is adjusted properly, it will never pry the mouth open because the curb strap will stop the bit from over rotating in the mouth. The angle of the TT shanks (or lack of angle) allows over rotation of the bit in the animal's mouth no matter how tight the curb strap is. It is simple mechanics.

While some folks still use a TT and it has some supporters for sure, there is always a better bit to use than a TT. Always.

doublelranch and GotaDunQH like this.