The dreaded Ton Thumb, the US version

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by GotaDunQH, Dec 20, 2018.

1. GotaDunQH

GotaDunQH Senior Member

OMG, I just don't understand why people don't do research on bits and get educated. I'm on a FB discussion page and a bit discussion came up from someone with a western horse, looking for a starting bit, transition bit and so on. So someone mentions a Tom Thumb as a transition to a curb bit because she uses one. I very politely AND realistically talked out how this bit is THE MOST poorly designed bit, the mechanics of it etc. Next thing ya know, the woman who uses one calls me a troll and an a-hole!!?? Like....what? So I cited RESEARCH and hands-on studies done by bit professionals and experts, but she said..."that's their opinion." Hmmmm....ok, I guess she's also one of those that says science is wrong, and the world REALLY is flat.

2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

It’s amazing, we have a poster here who went out and bought one just to prove that they aren’t that bad. I don’t get it..why subject your horse to that, just to try and prove everyone else wrong.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You get a lot of misinformation about them being a snaffle because they're a broken mouth, and many don't know any better. That nutcracker affect isn't good. Too bad they wouldn't listen.

kodemiester and GotaDunQH like this.
  4. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Senior Member+

A lot of people I know use one... I have one (I don’t know why) but I haven’t used it at all except once. And the one time I used it, he was very upset.

5. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

They are cheap, sold everywhere, and SO many people use them. I don't try to change people's minds. It's a lost cause.

6. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Oh lovely FB.... I get myself er le in trouble there often over things just like this! Lol

Only good ace for a TT is the trash, or melted down .

7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I donated mine to the Pony Club for their wall of shame

8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I rode in our town's parade Saturday. There was an older man there, he had three horses in the parade, all were underweight, but one in particular was very very poor. I overheard the guy telling other riders that it was that horse's first ride, he was using the parade to get him broke. Guess what bit he was using.....

9. bsaz

bsaz Senior Member

Because it worked just fine. And the stuff people say happens did not. I'm 4 for 4 in horses who have no problems with a Tom Thumb bit. For a trail horse, with a rider who doesn't jerk on the reins, it is fine. As most bits are.

Amazing what a person can learn if they try things instead of blindly accept conventional wisdom.

FWIW, I mostly ride bitless now. But the Dreaded Tom Thumb does no harm - by itself. A rider who believes it will magically solve all problems, or who jerks a horse around, or who doesn't bother to use a curb strap - that one's for you, mooselady - could run into trouble. Not my first choice in curb bits. That would be a Billy Allen. But Tom Thumb bits don't ruin horses. Bad riders do.

10. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

9C646E3C-9FA7-4EA7-8FF5-D5DDCD4CBD0C.jpeg
    Beautiful loved it