The Central Coast Equine Rescue and Retirement (CCERR) misusing donations.

Discussion in 'Horse Rescue / Adoption' started by meljean, Apr 19, 2017.

1. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Horse Rescue Purchases Victoria Secrets With Donations

From the link.

The Central Coast Equine Rescue and Retirement (CCERR) was founded in 2012. The latest, 2015, shows revenue of just over $100,000. In a supplemental schedule, the CCERR explained to the IRS “The non profit spent $74,458 in 2015 on boarding, feed and care of its horses. THe non profit (Wounded Warriors Support Group) contributed $108,689 to Central Coast Equine. CCE relies on WWSG for all of its funding to pay its bills. We provide and offer these received horses to WWSG for the healing of physically and mentally wounded veterans. We are working together.” The WWSG had no such therapy program for wounded veterans.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  2. meljean

meljean Senior Member

Read this and weep...

Wounded Warrior Support Group, whose officers consisted of only members of the Gregory family, would use the raffle number of Central Coast Equine Rescue and Retirement, whose officers were also limited to the Gregory family, in exchange for a percentage of the raffle funds raised. California law states that each nonprofit must file for its own raffle permit. The WWSG never applied for a permit, and conducted raffles before filing as a nonprofit with the IRS. The WWSG claimed the raffles were going to support wounded warriors with horse therapy, but no such program ever existed. The WWSG received their federal nonprofit status in 2014, and the latest 990, 2015, shows total revenue of over $700,000.

Do you see almost 3/4 of a million dollars in donations for a program that has never existed.

CoffeeBean likes this.
  3. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

Bad as this is (and it's VERY bad) - I'm so glad that someone or lots of someones connected the dots and investigated these scam artists. Maybe more and more people are wising up and more of them are doing their homework BEFORE they donate money.

You can report suspicious charities BEFORE you donate money to them. I wish more people would do so.

VermilionStrife and Varisha like this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I see it, but I don't like it. Will they get fined for that?

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

So, what else is new?

Until they stop giving tax free status and government funds to these scam artists, they're as much as attracting them, like vulchers to a day old carcass.

6. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

The problem is that they meet the criteria for a 501c3 in their application. The other problem is that there are fewer and fewer people to audit and investigate when people do write and complain. The states could change THEIR laws and require charities to file a real 990 annually rather than only requiring it when a charity reports that they've received $25,000 or more (same as the IRS). But they don't to the best of my knowledge. Of course, even if they did and someone did notice a potential problem, there are no FUNDS available or used for a full-time trained investigator. State laws vary and the reason for following the procedure is to minimize the chance of someone being falsely accused or convicted.

Even people who are pretty clearly on the wrong side of the law deserve and are constitutionally entitled to a vigorous defense. It may sometimes make me grind my teeth in frustration but I'm not interested in changing it.

I don't think they applied for and received government funds. They may have applied for and received grants from foundations or organizations with money to give away to qualified applicants, but that's different.

This is a different organization entirely. Has nothing to do with horses, or charities or anything. But it is an example of what has to happen before you can bring them up on charges. One of many things that upsets me about this example is the idea that corporations are people and they have more rights than individuals. Not until and unless many guilty people go to jail and pay hefty fines they aren't!

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/documents/20170420_cfpb_Ocwen-Complaint.pdf
    https://www.dllr.state.md.us/finance/consumers/pdf/ocwencd.pdf

7. CoffeeBean

CoffeeBean Senior Member

I don't know if this mare was purchased with purloined money, but it wouldn't surprise me. Yeah, I bet her price is negotiable!

Nymphe G (Greta) - DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 2038463

Nymphe G (Greta)
    Bay Dutch Warmblood Mare
    Horse ID: 2038463
    Schoolmaster--Jumped at Grand Prix Level, Very Nice Horse
    Related Searches by State
    TackTrader Ads in California

Breed: Dutch Warmblood
    Related Searches by Breed

Date Foaled: APR 1996 Gender: Mare
    Height: 16.1 hh Weight: 1,250 pounds
    Color: Bay Other Color
    or Markings:

Gaited: No Warmblood: No
    Temperament:
    1=Very Calm...
    10=Very High-Spirited
    2 May Trade:
    For:
    No
    Registered? Yes Reg. Assn: Dutch Warmblood
    Reg. Number: For Lease: No
    For Sale: Yes Asking Price: $49,999 (US) NEGOTIABLE
    Horse Skills,
    Disciplines,
    Attributes:

Notes: Has competed very successfully (including in the top two placings) through the 1.40m jumpers level; has also competed successfully in many money classes. Very successful horse. Could potentially make a great childrens jumper. Lots of talent and also very well schooled. Jumps open water, ditches, banks, triple bars, triples. Very careful. Schools tempi changes and fourth level dressage. Lovely horse. Sire is 2 time Olympic gold medalist, Jus de Pomme. To approved home only. 925-200-7063

Contact Information
    Contact Name: Gina Gregory

The mare was born in 1995 per her breeders.

HOGENDOORN DUTCH WARMBLOOD SPORT HORSE IMPORTS - Nymphe G

Nymphe G

Nymphe G is a very special beautiful mare born in April '95. She is one of the few Jus de Pommes daugthers in the world! Nymphe shows a great jumping talent and has special gaits!
    Her sire JUS DE POMMES (see picture) is the winner of 2 Gold Medals at the 1996 Olympics[​IMG] in Atlanta! Her mother Janora is a "Star" mare and a Granddaughter of Lucky Boy!
    Nymphe is a very promising young horse!