The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Dec 27, 2014
    I think this makes perfect sense. You two were kinda made for each other and I’m thrilled with the reports. We knew it was going to be a project but it sounds like she’s in a good place to learn.
    Dona Worry likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Feb 19, 2012
    She might do it grudgingly right now but she complies. So while she is not entirely sure she is still willing. Great news!
    You two will get there.
    Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

Aug 17, 2009
    The sour streak, I'd bet, is just her adjusting to new people and environment and testing what's being asked of her. Because she's really having stuff asked of her now. Also I'm confident the distractedness is mostly due to new environment and people/routine as well. The more she is worked, she will begin to focus on work again.
    NBChoice, Arem, bellalou and 3 others like this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Could be that professional training reminds her of a less than savory part of her life, where she got burned out or badly handled. That she trusts you is a huge plus, imo, as he might find or figure out that what went badly last time or for a time is not necessarily going to recur in all its unpleasantness.
    I call what you might be seeing or what she might be feeling the Lima Bean effect, like little kid served LB and doesnt like them:
    "I dont wanna.. I Dont LIke it.. OK I will, but I Wont Like it!"
    If they learn its not so bad, they might get a lil more cooperative, like/ fake liking it.
    Dona Worry likes this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I think a lot of mares tend to prefer “their person” anyway. I’ve heard it before: a gelding will perform the same for anyone, but a mare will perform best for her person. She’ll do what she’s asked with someone else, but not as willingly.

You have to “earn” the right for a mare to *want* to perform for you. It sounds like you’ve earned that right with Calypso. She knows who her person is! I had to earn that right with Brandi, too.

Obviously, there are mares who are the exception to that rule, but there are enough who adhere to create a stereotype. :p

Or possibly she was burned out/pushed too hard at a previous home. Or had to deal with someone inexperienced and heavy handed who couldn’t read her.

Whatever her story, I’m glad the trainer is finding success with her, even if it’s somewhat grudgingly on Calypso’s part! :D
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Nov 15, 2010
    I agree its normal mare-ish behavior. It all comes out sooner or later.

Charm is going through it now too. Huge setback over the holidays. Now she is making herself into a nervous wreck. All I can do is work her through it. She wants to be good and really listens to my voice. So I am pulling back to ground work until she settles again.
    GONE ROPING, Larkspade and Dona Worry like this.
  7. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

Feb 22, 2008
    I also think she’s a red headed mare. Her life with you has been a vacation of sorts. Now she’s being asked to work??
    The nerve...
    I can’t say it brings up any memories for her. But who knows, it might.
    She looks great and getting her mind and body working will keep her young.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

May 11, 2016
    BO says that that level of distraction isn't uncommon in old broodmares...Says a lot of mares keep the mentality of a foal at side for a long time. I am hopeful that she'll get past it and learn to focus better.
    Yep, I'm her person! It is funny to watch her with the other horses. "Yep, this is MY person. She might not know much-- shut UP Scotty nobody asked you--but she fusses over me, she gives me cookies, she really does means well! And look, she is here learning how to take care of ME better! Your person is fine, but this is MY person, and she is better."
    I think there was a pain-related reason she stopped working and became a broodmare, and I think the 'lots of energy but no forward' is because she remembers work as painful. I think the slow and frequent work is the way t9 go with her!
  9. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Nov 1, 2011
    I agree with ~tiffy~. She doesn't want to go to work after having been on vacation for so long. She is being asked to do stuff besides walk beside you, stand still while you groom, saddle, mount than quietly walk around a little bit when you got on. Not much work involved with that, only patience.
    Doesn't mean anything bad about her or her potential work ethic in my mind. Just means she is a dominant personality and will need a leader to perform. You have been her leader with what you have done with her, she wasn't permitted to misbehave with you but, since you don't have the skill to really press her, she has not been tested. She may very well be the sort that will test frequently to make sure you still want to be the leader. I have a mare like that. She is a favorite of mine though, not a mean bone in her body but she will make sure I want to still be the leader every now and then. A body block while I'm on the ground, doesn't want to give a hoof (usually a back hoof), a little crow hop under saddle or maybe try to jog when I ask her to step out and walk. Nothing bad really but I know if I let her get away with these little infractions, they will get bigger.
    My grand dad always said an equine could not be called broke until it had been pressured hard over something. If it did not resort to bucking, rearing or bolting when presented with some sort of pressure to do do something it did not want to do, AND it did whatever it was it did not want to do, it was broke.
  10. slc

slc Senior Member

Feb 19, 2004
    I am sure that Calypso's behavior with other people is something that absolutely has got to be worked out.

My guess is that Calypso was a very difficult horse due to her anxieties about the herd dynamics, and she clashed with trainers many times. Now she's got to work through that.

I don't believe there are any other options here. Every time you take her home she's going to get more set in her ways. Get her with the best trainer you can afford and stand back and let her work it through. She's got to get over this.

I feel the same way about my own mare. It doesn't matter if she's afraid, or angry or stubborn or traumatized or WHAT. She's GOT to he handled by other people. I could walk out in front of a bus and get squashed like a bug tomorrow, and where would she be if I wasn't there? She's GOT to be handled and trained by other people. I've always got to be prepared to say good bye, and prepare her for it too.

My friend's son was developmentally disabled. He was very sensitive to noises, to unfamiliar sounds, new places, and new challenges. He had a lot of anxiety and a lot of fears. He'd been traumatized at a residential school in...ways we don't need to discuss. She was very sympathetic to his plight and his sensitive feelings. She wanted more than anything in the world to protect him. She was so proud that she could handle him and get him to manouver around in the little piece of the world he felt safe in.

And one day at school, some kids were making some noise. He clamped his hands over his ears, shouted at them, and they made MORE noise. He ran up to them, and then, thank God, a teacher grabbed him. He was very clear that he was going to stab the kid with his pen.

The next time I saw her, she was marching him through the mall, and he was crying. 'Come hell or high water, we're going to do this', she said through gritted teeth.

And he did. He did great. It weren't pretty for a while, but he did it.

Have faith. She can do this. It's time.