The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The good news is she got to go outside today! She was with two other mares, and they all got along well, according to reports.

The bad news is it took almost two hours, in a SMALL paddock, to catch her again.

WE PRACTICED THIS I PROMISE

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

She’s gotta test the new people and see what they’re made of and what they will allow from her. :D :D :D

“Are the rules the same? How will you react?”

GONE ROPING and Dona Worry like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Yup, she is testing them. My mare still does it. Mares know all the tricks.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

BO says that it usually takes half the amount of time the second day.
    Hopefully this is true....

Arem likes this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

In better news, she is at least getting along with people when they DO catch her...
    FB_IMG_1515362099764.jpg

ginster, kodemiester, Bebe and 8 others like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

They decided to try putting her in with Cole, her neighbor who soooooooo very much wants to be her friend, and I guess that was a quieter option for her, and they caught her FIRST try!!! Within minutes!
    :cheerleader:
    Onward and UPWARD!

7. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Yay Calypso! So excited to watch her progress here :)

Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  8. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

She learned to trust you,now she has to learn to trust others..

bellalou and Dona Worry like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Had a 3.5 hour lesson today, and 90% of it was me!
    BO says biggest surprise/find with Calypso was. . . She lunges. Really, really well. Professional training well. She stops square at the center line, understands and responds to voice commands, and generally is a TOTAL STAR.
    (This got a big AHA I KNEW IT!!!! from me, who has long known this horse had lots of training locked away)
    She is really off-balance, however, so it isn't perfect, and she thinks it has been yeeeeaaars since she has done it, because she is obviously rusty, but the training is there, and good.
    Most of the lesson was teaching me to lunge via her old horse, but we did get Calypso out for maybe 10, 15 minutes of a nice walk trot.
    It is a lot of fun to see my pony shine, not going to lie.
    (And then I got ahold of the lines and she shone less, but still a star!)
    Second biggest surprise is a tie for the 'unveiling', as she called it, ie the first time she say her without blanket. "Those SPOTS! So incredible!" and for how her behavior changes whenever kids are within earshot of the barn. She melts, and becomes soft and happy and cute (again, I knew this, nice to see someone else see it too!)
    She thinks her story may have had a period of good training, and that once, she may have been a child's horse, or at least adored and fussed over by one.

On a little less positive note, she has a reluctant and sour streak, and is HIGHLY distractable. She has a lot of energy, but no forward, which is 'an odd combination, to say the least'.
    There is certainly a lot of history she carries with her, but the only thing to do is go forward and build good, positive experiences that outweigh the history.
    Also I do everything wrong I can possibly do, but it's ok, because I learn.
    She looks good, and happy.

10. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Miss gorgeous herself!
    I am not sure what this sour streak is all about. It popped it's ugly head up with the other trainer, and now it is popping up again.
    It's this frustrating sort of double-standard: she performs better for the trainer, but behaves better for me.

BO thinks she has lost all faith in humans as leaders and while she obviously has trust in me, I don't have any of the skills to bring out any of her skills.
    We'll get there. She is a good girl, and so I hope that with some more consistently nice people around, they can see the same willing and cooperative nature that I see.
    20180112_135642.jpg

mygirl1197, Bebe, GONE ROPING and 7 others like this.