The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

The only thing that troubled me was that she had all of her morning grain and a very full bucket of water.... at 4pm. (Lunch time hay/water check is at 11ish)
    Which means she hadn't eaten her breakfast OR drinken her normal water. (From her HEATED bucket, no less!)
    She had a decent amount of hay in her stall, but much less than a full feeding, so it looks like she is eating that, but the full ration and water were disappointing.
    I sent a text to BO, she promised to keep track of her. Said that by dinner the hay was scarfed up, and her breakfast grain was gone, so she gave her a half portion of dinner. She didn't mention that water, but hopefully remembers to check in the morning.
    I am paranoid about her not drinking, with this storm and the horrible cold and the lack of turnout and the move... I really don't want a colic!

ginster and GONE ROPING like this.
  2. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

Is there a chance that this water tastes different? A lot of horses are senstive to water tastes. Would she try water with Gatorade or something similar in it?

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Brandi used to not drink away from home. We’d go to barrel races and she wouldn’t drink all day. Finally, she got thirsty enough and desperate enough that she started drinking at shows.

I tried Gatorade with her at a trail ride once, but she wouldn’t take that either. Stubborn mare. All the other horses LOVED it, though, so I’ll echo trying it for Calypso if she continues to not drink. I think I’ve heard of using apple juice, too.

You could also try bringing some water from home so it tastes the same, but that’s ovviously not a perminant solution. Hopefully, like Brandi, she just gives up and starts drinking before she has an issue.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

At night I used to add some apple flavored electrolytes to her water to slow freezing, so I may bring those along next time.
    BO said that she has had an empty bucket every morning so far, but doesn't drink much during the day.
    Her normal at home is at least 3 of the normal hanging buckets a day, BO thinks she is at 1.5 right now.

Arem likes this.
  5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

"I grudgingly accept your affection."
    22439.jpeg 22438.jpeg

6. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Mares. :rofl:
    I have a feeling I like Calypso.

7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She has a noticeable dislike of men.
    BUT.
    He is scratching her FAVORITE itchy spot.
    Hence. . . The droopy happy lips and the pinned ears! :rolleyes:

kodemiester, Bakkir, ginster and 4 others like this.
  8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

It makes me so happy to see how far she's come thanks to you, Dona. I am pretty sure he would not have been able to touch her, let alone reach her favourite itchy spot a year ago.....

GONE ROPING, Bakkir and Dona Worry like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

He also haltered her in her stall, AND did the blanket check this morning!
    Even if it turns out she just isn't physically suited to be a riding horse, I think this will be well worth it just in terms of life experience for her.
    She's come a long way, and has a lot further to go, I think!
    Also, the BO's kids (not sure how old, but two girls under ten) are totally in love with her, which is understandable. She is easily the prettiest horse in the barn!

Bebe, GONE ROPING, ginster and 5 others like this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

She'll be fine. Good luck, she may well turn out to be suitable. You'll find out soon enough.