The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Doped up pony....

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

It probably makes her feel better because you are mentally preparing yourself that it will be ok. :)

Horses being our mirrors and all that..

3. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Anything that makes *us* feel better makes our horses feel better. :)

Glad the appointment went well! Brandi hates getting her teeth done. She leans back and tries to back up even with sedation.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Calypso does not sedate well. It NEVER lasts as long as they say, and she fights the heck out of it. She has nearly brained a couple of people because they thought she was out and she flung her head up ina last ditch attempt to not go out. Even today she struggled against the sedation more than the float. . . She is an odd duck, the dentist commented on it a couple of times. . . And dosed her a second and third time to keep her under.
    "Does she normally take this much? I dosed her for 1200lbs, is she heavier than that? Oh boy, you just don't want to sleep. . . It's fine if I put a metal gag in your mouth, but not let you sleep for it? Ok, let's try a little more, oh boy, she sure is a stubborn one. . . Theeeereee we go. Ok, let's be quick, I have a feeling she is not going to be under as long as I want her to be..."
    Alas, she was not quuuuiiiiite good enough to let us do it without sedation.

*adds 'floats without sedation' to the ever-increasing list of goals*

ginster and Arem like this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Fun! That’s probably how *I* would be if someone tried to sedate *me.* :p
    Brandi sedated so easily, the first time she almost ended up on the ground. Oops. But once they start working on her teeth she starts waking up. Then, when they’re done, it’s right back to zzzzzzzz. She’s dopey pony for a loooooong time. :p “Are you awake enough yet? Cause I got places to be now and I’m not convinced I should leave you unattended yet...”

6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

Maybe it's a red mare thing...

My old horse was a redheaded anglo-arab mare. She always took extra sedation to keep her under too.

Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

During his gelding, Quest fell down and was totally out seconds after the first shot of sedation-- Before he even got the ketamine!
    He is unlike his mother in many ways. I am not convinced they are related.

bellalou and Arem like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

Sounds more like a dose related problem that a related problem.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Some animals are just naturally more resistant or susceptible to sedation than others, you see this in cows all the time.
    Two cows of almost the exact same weight will take wildly different doses to go down. I think he is just a mild little guy and it doesn't take much to knock him out.

Arem likes this.
  10. AprilBride2012

AprilBride2012 Senior Member

See, that's me. Last time the put me under, I remember them saying "Okay, count....." and I was out. Didn't even get to count. To my 12 year old brain, that was the most unfair thing ever.

The other few times I've been sedated, I've gone close to all the way out. There is no taking the edge off for me!

ginster and Arem like this.