The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. slc

slc Senior Member

I doubt most of these stories, especially where the horse is 'crazy' when the drug wears off. I've had my horse given reserpine (so it could calm down and heal while on stall rest for a bad leg injury). There was absolutely NO 'crazy' when the reserpine wore off. She just went back to standing on her hind legs and doing Lipizzaner leaps while I was hand walking her.

A lot depends on dose. My friend's off the track Thb got resperpine after he broke his hip, and he spent the next six weeks sleeping away most of each day. Snoring like a lumberjack. My mare, on the other hand, spent about FOUR days not leaping and rearing and tap dancing on my head. She was bright eyed and very alert during that time. And it wore off quick. When it 'wore off' she just gradually went back to her old pattern of behavior.

In my experience, there is a very different deal behind the story of this happening. It's about getting a horse sold that's a tough ride, but not talented enough to attract the riders who could handle him. Dealers have many ways of doing that, medication is just one.

The LEGITIMATE use of medications like reserpine is to prevent injury to horse or rider, to calm a horse while it's recuperating from an injury and there is a danger of him reinjuring himself, or get a horse through a behavioral crisis (again, here, the priority is preventing injury to rider and horse).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    D_BaldStockings likes this.
  2. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Reserpine for Veterinary Use

contraindications for Reserpine:
    Do not drink Alcohol... so no beer for Calypso.

Her owner on the other hand...

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I think you're living up to your user name .:LOL:

She was probably a backyard bred broodmare for many years. Her colt or filly was left out with her as they didn't have other horses or a herd for either one of them. Now, suddenly, she's being treated like should have been and it's a huge adjustment because she has no buddy, that she was friends with pre-pregnancy, to be turned out with to distract her from her weanling.

She will get over it. She's just one of those drama queens that works herself up about change and not having a herd environment that she's comfortable with. So she frets and worries.

She could also be feeding off you somewhat, Dona. Horses notice when other creatures are stressed and it encourages them to stay stressesed themselves.

Try not to worry so much.

4. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

You sound like my doctor who tells me to "avoid stress." Then she hands me a bill for $200. :rofl:

That's not helping, Doc!

DelP, Sam C., Arem and 7 others like this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

:rofl:. True~!!

I wouldn't have called the vet for this, but then I get it that the horse is the type that overreacts, works itself up, is not secure within itself and needs calm and cool in it's handling.

Had those. Ignored their drama and they stopped the drama real quick. They feed off your reacting to their stress.

Arem and Varisha like this.
  6. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I'm like this also. My dad told me I should put the vet clinic on my favorite numbers so at least I get free calls.

Dona Worry and Varisha like this.
  7. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I don't know if I buy that the handling is escalating it. She CAN be calm, and is actually calmer when asked to do something simple--stand to be brushed, be cross-tied for the farrier, etc, and her human interaction does not add up to any substantial amount anyways--she is outside all night, her human interaction probably totals at about an hour a day.
    And, she does it when people aren't around just as bad. (BUT WHY? who knows)
    If you move fence on the hill behind the barn, across from the barn, or anywhere within 100 miles of the barn, you can hear her crashing about and carrying on when it is just the horses there, and I know perfectly well the other three are napping. It's not like she can't see them sleeping and being calm.
    If she was eating better, and hadn't had the shooting diarrhea, I would not be as concerned, but it is hard to not worry at all when she is refusing her food and trying to get her front legs over the wall....

Bebe likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Ok, we are going with Reserpine, but it is in powdered form, and gets added to her feed once a day. . . Anyone ever use it like this?

9. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Thanks, Idk how I missed that. ;)

10. ~tiffy~

~tiffy~ Senior Member

I never have. And with her not eating properly being one of your issues, how is a feed through medicine the best option?

lucky_pine, NBChoice, Varisha and 3 others like this.