The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I know right?! Her weight! Her posture! Her expression! Her color! Her mane and tail!
    THOSE SPOTS!

2. Caoimhe

Caoimhe Senior Member

You have done an AMAZING job with her!

Holy cow! The before and after is one of the best I've seen! She really does look years younger. :faint:

Dona Worry likes this.
  3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Wow! That is so impressive! And you managed that in less than a year AND foaled out a healthy baby besides! Seriously great job. She looks fabulous.

Nu5ha, Dona Worry and Caoimhe like this.
  4. SkyeTiger

SkyeTiger Senior Member

She looks so wonderful. :)

I love watching her progress. What discipline/sort of trainer are you sending her too?

I probably have already asked you this... but are you planning on keeping Quest too? :)

5. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I know! She looks COMPLETELY different. I would say you can tell it is her because of the spots, but, they change, so no you can't! Her face has changed shape and her markings are different, her body has changed shape--she is literally unrecognizable. I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across the photo. I knew, of course, that she looked different and had changed a lot, but to see the two side by side? :cautious: Did somebody swap a different horse out? One with the exact same imperious whinny and snorting tendencies?

To be fair, I had a LOT of help, in real life and on here. And she has a good attitude for it as well--I got very lucky with her temperament.

The trainer bit is undecided. We will hopefully ace the lameness eval, and then I will have to decide what really makes sense. . . First step will probably be to get the trainer that I have out monthly to do a riding assessment on her. If he thinks she just needs a bit off dusting off and few miles, then I have friend who used to retrain, rehabilitate and rehome horses for a living who is DYING to have an excuse to ride, she is now retired, after health reasons forced her to part with the last of her horses. She is the perfect candidate to brush off a few cobwebs of a formally well-broke horse. (And let's face it--trail rides with me on the fat borrowed morgan pony that likes to gogogo would be a lot of fun for all involved)

If she needs anything more than that, my lesson barn would take her for a month or two, and I could take lessons on her there. They do. . . I don't honestly know,lots of things. Mostly jumping, eventing is also a thing, and also there is dressage and fox hunting and also a different kind of jumping.
    Since cantering is so far Highly Discouraged, I am going to take a wild guess that dressage, fox hunting, and show jumping is also out, so this barn may not be the BEST fit, but it is with people I know and trust.

I haven't brought it up yet, but I would honestly not mind sending her to the guy I have coming out once a month. I may have mentioned he is a total wackaloon, but she responds to him beautifully, and I would feel good about sending her to his ranch for a period of time. He is gentle with her, and highlights patience and cooperation, which is what she responds to the best. It isn't just me--she is an anxious horse.

Long story short--I haven't decided yet, but a lot hinges on what she knows and how sound the vet ultimately declares her.

And yes, planning to keep Quest. He is my little buddy.:heartbeat:
    For the summer I am planning to send him to a local farm that has a baby his own age to goof around with and be away from mom, but nope, keeping him as long as I possibly can.

ginster, SkyeTiger and Sam C. like this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Oh, another gem of a picture from her very first day--Notice her halter? See the strap? I couldn't get it off completely with my fingers, I had to go and fetch some pliers from the farm. It was practically fused together. Neighbor snapped this photo while I was looking for tools.
    I thought it was a super cute picture of her resting. It still is--But now I can see how THIN she is here, compared to what she is now.

7. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

I just wanted to say I love your updates and love how proactive you are with their health. She's a stunner!

Dona Worry and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

So, the session with the trainer on friday was wonderful.. I mostly just watched, but learned a lot. Catching is what the current project is, and it was a great session, from my point of view-- last time he managed to get her to stand still to be haltered once, this time she did it half a dozen times and followed him around when he took it off! Color me pleased.
    Today I tried catching myself--From SCRATCH.
    When I initially went out into the pasture, she vanished in a purple puff of smoke. Not a promising start, but I went looking for her, found her on top of the hill. She vanished again. Thought about it for five minutes, realized the wretched MORGANS were stalking me. Gave them the look of DEATH and they sulked away to the hay pile. Calypso magically reappeared, watched me from afar. I gently circled around her and we moseyed our way back down the hill.
    Down on the dry lot (well, clay mud pit of doom lot, but whatever) she stayed well away but watched very closely. I could get within about fifteen feet before she became edgy and moved away. But. . .
    I had a funny feeling she would follow me into the round pen. It made no sense, she had a big hill to run up on, no reason to do so, but I was sure. I walked up to the roundpen, opened the gate, and walked to the back.

And in she came!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

:love:

We had a very short session in the round pen--Once she let me approach and slide a rope on, I repeated once on each side (left side is still a lot harder to do things on) and then put the halter on properly, lead her out, gave her a good scratch and set her free!

She followed me back to the barn, gave me a look like "That's IT?" and then went to join her jerkface of a colt.

PROGRESS.
    It is HAPPENING.

9. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

You are an excellent first time horse owners and these two have landed very softly with you. I'm so happy to see how well you're doing with them!

Dona Worry likes this.
  10. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

What a difference. And congratulations, such wonderful progress you are making with mama and baby. Can't wait to see what the future hold for you guys.

Dona Worry likes this.