The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

This sums up my thinking pretty well. Like, yeah, sure, we are flexing and balancing and learning about contact, but she has been lungeing in a big arena, and I feel like the round pen is becoming a crutch.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

The things you're learning!! Impressed.

mkoktavy likes this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Be careful. You can also wind up water-skiing on your face. As I also noted, sometimes 'asking' those 'questions' needs to wait until you have help. You don't ever want to get a longe line in a straight line between you and the direction of motion of the horse.

Especially if you longe with the line attached to a halter, but - well - any equipment can fail to hold onto a 1000 lb animal that can accelerate rapidly to 40 mph. Once a horse gets the idea to go, he can simply pull the longe line out of your hands, and you may not have seen what a longe line or rope can do to bare hands when that happens.

Gloves every time, and - yeah, I know this is INSANE and MEAN and ACCUSING and just oh so silly and absurd, but you know what? Don't loop the longe line around your hands. Not even big loops. They can close up pretty quick.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She has been lungeing in a large and open arena, and I'd prefer to keep her out in the open so she doesn't become dependent on the walls of the roundpen but the best footing and most level ground is 100% the roundpen, so idk.
    She lunges with the rope attached to the bit--but it is a fat soft baby bit. Not something that would stop her if she wanted to go.
    There was 501 ways you could have phrased this so you didn't sound witchy, yet this is what you chose. :rolleyes:

DelP, reicheru, ginster and 3 others like this.
  5. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

I am sure after years of working cattle Donna is well aware of how to hold lines attached to animals even if you seem set on the idea she isn't.

@Dona Worry she is looking good! She has come very far. When I first got Gus the BO cut down the tall grass in a field and I worked him there. Arenas are not always necessary and they are not always 100% for footing. Is there any way to get a few lessons on ground driving so you can just drive her around?

Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  6. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

I would do both.

When she is in the round pen, she is learning how to carry herself. You are probably more relaxed as well.

It's important to also work in different area's. She then has to work harder to stay balanced and use her brain more.

But you don't need to drill her to perfection. It's just an excersise.

The more I ride, the less I lunge. Charm still prefers to lunge before being tacked up. She loves routine. But at this point it's very basic as long as she is listening to me. 2 walk circles, 3 trot (steady easy working trot), 1 walk, square halt, back up, turn and repeat.

And when I am not riding I free longe her w/t/c. And I let her get the silly's out.

Dona Worry and Arem like this.
  7. slc

slc Senior Member

Right back atcha.

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Classic Narcissistic reply. Deflection. “Its not me, it’s you.” That sort of thing.

There wasn’t a thing wrong with Dona’s reply back to you, but you keep harping and harping the basics of lead rope and lunge line handling. Even if she wasn’t experienced with cow handling, and therefore large animal lead handling, I’m sure her trainers would have cleared up those matters with her by now. Even if her reply to you was witchy? (Which is wasn’t) I would not blame her in the slightest.

DelP, Dona Worry, NaeNae and 3 others like this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Slc, what do you think this sort of behavior is going to achieve? You made an incorrect assumption, were rude, and were called out on both counts. You COULD have said something like "I know I've said this before, and I know you know better, but it's worth repeating: DON'T let your hand get tangled up in the lunge line, or loop it around your hand, even big loops!"
    I would have thanked you for that comment, because THAT would have been a kind and helpful way to make your point.

ginster, Larkspade, NaeNae and 4 others like this.