The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

I love how you can see her inside eye and ear focusing on you. She really trusts you and it shows.

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

She does try hard. (Especially for me!) I think it's getting easier, I'm hoping she'll be able to canter soon!
    She seems to look forward to it. I don't get it, it's literally running in circles, but she is alert and eager to go!

3. Garfield70

Garfield70 Senior Member

Most horses don't mind lunging at all. Cantering may be easier for her on a straight line with a rider. I would stay at walk and trot at the lunge line every day for maybe 20 minutes for a few weeks and look how that improves.

They should show you how to and you can do it yourself. You just have to get an eye for what the ideal speed at the trot is for a horse and to see when she relaxes the way you want (lowering of the neck, while an active hind leg and back, how the tail swings etc)

You can even do that still using the halter, while she is only wearing the bit every day so she gets habituated to it in a good way if she has previous negative experiences. (bit is just there not doing anything, every day)

Dona Worry likes this.
  4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Guess what horse lovers?!

It

Is

SADDLE FITTING TIME!!!
    :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

No, Calypso hasn't really gotten to saddles yet. BUT we got talking about saddles and BEFORE YOU KNOW IT Calypso was on the cross ties and here we are plopping one saddle after another!
    So after trying every. Single. Saddle. On the rack, the results were...

Only two saddles out of EIGHT fit decently. And one of them will absolutely NOT fit me lol.

So, what I should be on the lookout for, and what ya'll can keep your eyes peeled for is:
    FQHB
    16 1/2 seat (I'm a big girl!)
    6.75-7.25 gullet
    Old style ranch saddle
    Nothing with extensive curvature.
    He wrote 'Textan/Hereford' on a slip of paper, but I lack context.

GONE ROPING, Ziast and ~tiffy~ like this.
  5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

I can’t remember if you have thought that she had ever been ridden before? It’s good that you are trying saddles, tho she may change shape when she muscles up a bit.

Exciting, isn’t it?

Dona Worry likes this.
  6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Lol she didn't even blink plopping all the saddles on and off. I think once we get a person on her back it will move quickly.

7. ginster

ginster Senior Member

I am super happy that things are progressing so well for Calypso but I do have to admit that I am selfishly missing frequent photo-heavy updates..and the funny dialogues. :ROFLMAO:

How are you doing without your horses at home @DonaWorry? I can imagine it is pretty tough to not have them around like you´re used to...

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

It's SUPER strange. I miss my horses!
    My old phone got run over by a tractor, and my new one is SUPER nice, so expect more videos! (Before I could not use my own phone to take any videos, and was relying on other people)

ginster likes this.
  9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

There is this cute picture of good girl accepting and holding the bit like a big horse! BOC sent it yesterday. 3.jpeg

ginster, Bebe, Arem and 5 others like this.
  10. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

Wow, does she ever look intelligent! I swear, that mare knows everything you are doing and I think she's just playing along to see how patient you are. I bet she was mistreated at one time and she's testing you to see what kind of rider you'll be. Once you prove that you'll always treat her fairly, she'll go from wild red mare to one you could swear was well broke from birth. She is a lovely mover, but I can't get over how stinking intelligent she looks. It radiates from her face.