The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. ginster

ginster Senior Member

She looks good. I have had horses on the longe line who were well trained and behaved worse.
    She will relax. And you likely won't try working her when you are off again....
    Windy weather makes everything more complicated since most horses are less calm than usual...

Dona Worry likes this.
  2. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Deep breath -- you made a mistake and have learned from it. Yea you! (The learning part)

ginster and Dona Worry like this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Heh, you are advancing at a steady pace. You looked good at the lunging. Slow and steady wins the race. You made the best of a not so good start to the day.

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I found this cow on Facebook. @Dona Worry check it out! She has vitiligo

FB_IMG_1518359950738.jpg

FB_IMG_1518359946740.jpg

CheyAut, Bebe, kodemiester and 6 others like this.
  5. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Now that’s interesting. If she’s not appy, that could be my runner up theory.

6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I don't think she is appy at all. There's nothing about her that's appy. Even the spots aren't typical Appaloosa spots but what do I know?

CheyAut likes this.
  7. Arem

Arem Senior Member

She could possibly fit into the snowflake category. The striped hooves and ever increasing number of spots could suggest it. She isnt super duper characteristic, but minimally characteristic isn’t unheard of.

Sure, she’s not a rat tailed super typey app if she is one, but it’s conceivable that she could be appy crossed on... well, just about anything, really.

It’s also possible she isn’t. Time or a genetic test (testing for LP) will tell for certain. If she does have LP, it should become more obvious as time goes on. If it’s something like vitiligo (which I think is plausible also) that should become more obvious over time as well, I would think.

tlwidener likes this.
  8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

But with vitiligo the spots wouldn't change place but get bigger over time....

Eta: an internet search shows spot development similar to humans when it comes to horses. Searching for "vitiligo in cows" gives me about as many pics of cows as of women...nice. Apparently vitiligo in cows is linked to hepatosis.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Arem likes this.
  9. CabterCrazy

CabterCrazy Senior Member

To be fair, my appy is a purebred and you would bever think she is an appy. Some don't look like appys at all

Arem likes this.
  10. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

I'm fairly well versed in color genetics and I know not all appaloosas look like an Appaloosa. I owned one that didn't look it. I'm fairly confident Calypso is just covered in bird catcher spots and I would gladly send the payment via PayPal to Dona to be tested for LP.

CheyAut likes this.