The Calypso everything thread!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Dona Worry, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I realized I want to talk about all of the things I am doing with Calypso--her feet are progressing towards normalacy! We are both learning a ton from the trainer! We had a CHIROPRACTOR out! It is all so new and exciting and I don't have a CLUE what I am doing!
    Anyways, her schedule for the next month is:
    Chiro: TODAY! AND WENT SO WELL! More about that later.
    Vet for a general physical, some vaccines, bloodwork and coggins: March 13th (it was pushed back from the 7th due to a forgotten conflict)
    Dentist, to address the front teeth and a hook there: March 11th, I think, it is for sure a Saturday.
    Farrier: second Friday in March. Probably the 10th.
    Trainer: the 17th.

Vet again, for a FULL lameness workup and the rest of the vaccines and a health paper that would enable her to travel to a training barn if I want: April 4th. Or fifth. It is a Monday.

There is so much happening!!

ginster, mkoktavy, SkyeTiger and 5 others like this.
  2. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

20170227_100505.jpg My rockstar with the Chiropractor. He found: a dropped hip on her left side (I KNEW IT!!!) tightness in her back, mostly on the left side, tight tight tight through her head, neck and especially poll.
    Legs good. Shoulders a tiny bit stiff, but should improve with her feet.

His prognosis: there is no reason in the world she would not be sound and happy as a walk/trot trail horse.
    :cowdance::cowdance::cowdance::cowdance::cowdance:

3. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Yay!! What a good girl! I've found that once they feel that first adjustment and realize it feels better, they LOVE the chiropractor. It's just amazing what a difference it can make.

Her spots are just to die for.

You're doing all the right things with her and I think it's great. She's just a doll.

4. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

Oh, she was so good. So very good. I was extremely nervous and half expecting a meltdown, thankfully he had an assistant to hold her and all I had to do was entertain Quest. She was anxious and unsure about it at first-- "Why is the mounting block in my stall?? What are you DOING to my hip--ow, that is sensitive! WHAT IS GOING ON?!"
    But after a few minutes the light bulb went on over her head and she was an ANGEL. At one point he was POUNDING on her hip, with his interlocked hands, while she stood with her head about level with her knees, hind leg completely slack. "Oh my god yesss, right there right there oooooooh. . ." And when he was done with her leg she backed up a bit and looked back at him like "Okay, now fix that spot on my back--yes, that one!"
    He said she is not in any pain, but it may have occasionally been uncomfortable at the canter, or if she moved unusually on it, and said that it was probably uncomfortable after foaling; that this sort of injury is quite common in broodmares, but can also be an injury from being ridden, we have no way to know.
    Regardless, he said she should be a lot more comfortable now, and stay that way for a long time. He said she shouldn't need a follow up visit ( I asked about ten times) unless she comes up lame or seems sore. Said she was a wonderful, sweet mare and complimented her looks; said Quest looked like he would "Grow into a really stunning animal, are you planning on selling him. . ?"
    Very pleased. Now to work on getting her to trot in a nice straight line on command, and generally work on the behavioral things that interfere with a full lameness eval....

rhen, ginster, foxtrot and 9 others like this.
  5. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I cant wait to see this spotted chunker under saddle. She looks great.

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

I think she will be a great little trail horse. She loves walks, why not with a saddle on?

7. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Full Member

You are doing GREAT with her!! Now, if all new horse owners were like you.... This horse world would be a better place.:rolleyes:
    :heartbeat:LOVE that spotted mare of yours!!!!!!!!! Hoping all goes well with the lameness exam and she is cleared for work!!

Dona Worry likes this.
  8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Senior Member

ME TOO! I am excited. It is so gratifying to be told by two separate people that no, I am not crazy, there IS something wrong with the way she strides and that problem is her left hip. I suspected as much when I first took her for a walk eight months ago, and she was so dang uncooperative for the vet they couldn't see it, and everyone else thought she looked perfectly fine.
    But FINALLY, somebody else has seen it, and now it has been dealt with, as much as I was ever going to be able to deal with it; it is an old injury, there is only so much I can realistically do about it. But, what discomfort she was in should be gone now, she should be all fixed and as good as new! And he didn't even say cantering would be painful, just that it would be more difficult and awkward, but I have no plans to go cantering about anyways--I don't even know how yet.
    But I WASN'T crazy. There WAS something wrong, and it WAS her left hip.
    She looks like a new horse. I found a picture of her from June on my phone. . . 2017-02-27 19.59.11.jpg
    Now compare that to last week.
    2017-02-26 19.25.19.jpg
    She looks years younger, and like a totally different horse!
    I am so proud of her. She has had a rough go of it, but has remained willing and forgiving and kind through it all. She is such a good girl, and tries hard.

emali06, Saph, ginster and 12 others like this.
  9. GONE ROPING

GONE ROPING Full Member

WOW!!! the difference is incredible!!! She looks like a sweet girl!

Dona Worry likes this.
  10. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

She looks like a completely different horse!

ginster and Dona Worry like this.