The "Be Nice Halter" ?????

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by mtroika, Jul 25, 2005.

1. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

Hey! I was wondering if anyone on here has used or uses the "Be Nice Halter" on there horses. My trainer used to use it on some stallions and the wilder yearlings. Its a rope halter that tightens at the pole and under the chin and over the nose A couple people suggested I use one on Porsha to help with her ground manners.

So any tips, suggestions and how well this halter works for you???

Thanks

2. Cowgirl2135

Cowgirl2135 Senior Member+

It also have metal peices on them.
    I actually like them, but you have to be careful and know how to put it on. I use them for horses that don't give pressure very well.

3. Cara

Cara Senior Member+

It's just something I found, sorry it's so long. I've never used one, but it seems that in certian situations, it could be useful. Why was it suggested to you? Is your horse hard to handle? I would suggest first trying out a regular rope halter, it gives you more control, and you need less pressure, and it gives more percise aids. Good Luck!

mtroika likes this.
  4. mtroika

mtroika Senior Member+

Thanks that is a great article!!!!! That was really nice of you to find that for me.

Well ever since she has cut her leg she has turned into a monster and unfortunatley many people have witnessed it. She is rearing and pulling back when and breaking lead ropes, being very very pushy, etc..... So some people said buy her a "Be nice halter" I just wasnt sure if she really needed one because she has NEVER been bad like this just since her leg has been cut, but she is getting dangerous to be around and I want to teach her this now before she is 1000pounds, shes only a yearling now.

5. Laceycowgrl

Laceycowgrl Senior Member

have you tried using just a plain rope halter?? I would try this first, before using the be-nice halter. personally, I don't like them. but as long as you understand how it works, and are careful it can be a very useful tool! When I took my equine massage therapy course, they taught us to never use those halters b/c the little metal peices can really cause some damage if they pull back.

6. spyro1

spyro1 Senior Member+

Before selling SPy, he was having loading issues. He would rear and fly back if asked to go forward toward the trailer. I put the Be Nice Halter on him, big results. You must though, release your pressure at teh slightest forward movement by your filly. The reward system. They do what is asked, the pressure is released. I, presonally, like them:)

7. HalterGirl_88

HalterGirl_88 Senior Member+

I just use a lariat formed into a halter, it works the same way as a "be nice halter" by affecting pressure points. Lariats are cheaper and adjust to fit any horse head size. They need to be a fairly soft grain lariat though, the super stiff or plasticy ones can rub their face a little if they really pull back super hard.:)

8. Blistering Winds

Blistering Winds Senior Member+

HalterGirl. you too? I have used them. Not often though. But they work GREAT on a horse who wants to go head to head with me. LOL

9. prettyqtrs

prettyqtrs Senior Member+

We have multiple Be Nice Halters. And to be honest with you, I haven't used them very much. But when I do/did they worked okay. The horse fought it at first, then gave in and accepted it pretty well. I personally love just regular rope halters. And regular nylon halters and leather halters are fine too. I have more regular nylon halters than anything else, but thats pretty normal. :)

10. arabkid

arabkid Senior Member+

I love "be nice halters" for horses that are acting like little snots...lol sorry but I can deal with a scared horse, but one with a temper just doesn't fly around here...

Mel, I think you are doing the right thing wanting to fix her little red wegon while she is still young, there is no need for any of that!

Good luck!!!