The arabian training martingale

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by jill pondell, Feb 17, 2016.

1. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

Is there a situation when a training martingale is applicable?

What is its correct usage?

2. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We use both a running and a german martingale as needed.

Running martigales are very helpful for a horse that likes to invert, especially when the rider doesn't have good hands yet. If the riders hands get to high, the preasure on the snaffle bit still comes at the appropriate angle to keep the horses head set correctly. The horse also learns very quicky that they get an instant release in preassure as they drop their head.

We use the German on a horse that needs to be taught not to rip their rider right out of the saddle. The german can exert a lot of pressure and should be a rider with good hands.

3. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

Billy Royal® 10 Ring Training Martingale in Arabian Training Martingales

Here is the type of martingale I am asking about :) The concept seems the same as a running.

4. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

I am on a very firm stance of avoiding them if I can. I feel they restrict my ability to interact laterally and tend to teach a different kind of bad habit from the one I'm trying to correct.

Now for horses who are head tossers who have been vet checked/dentist checked, I would consider it to protect myself.

I think a lot of inexperienced hands use them to get a horse "in frame" and they're missing the whole point.

My $0.02

5. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

On the property where I ride there is a dressage trainer and a saddleseat trainer. I see the saddleseat trainer using these on all his horses and today my trainer had me use one on my mare.

6. Friesiangirl

I would....be very wary if a trainer users it on all of his horses. I tend not to talk badly about trainers I don't know (and haven't seen train) however it sits poorly with me. All tools have their place, but no tool is always right. You wouldn't expect a screwdriver to do everything you need for your car repairs, eh? It takes a keen eye to see what you need and why, or if you need anything other than "going back to square one"

I find that a lot of trainers use these to get a horse "on the vertical" quick and fast without any care for proper impulsion, straightness, suppleness, etc. You can get a picture that kinda looks like what's correct in much less the time this way. What ends up happening, more often than not, is a horse with it's face locked into place but absolutely no engagement from the back coming forward. Or worse, they suck back behind the bit and are completely hollow.

Then again, saddleseat isn't my discipline.

7. windblown

windblown Senior Member

I've never seen one adjusted or ridden with in a way that would hold a horse behind the vertical on its own, nor would it prevent lateral flexion. I do a lot of flexion with my horses in these, and most of the time they're inactive. As the point with Arabian saddle seat horses (or hunter pleasure horses in my case) is to have a ton of drive from behind with free, elevated shoulders, it's certainly not preventing that.

Ask your trainer why you're using it. If your trainer won't (or can't) answer, then it's an issue. My trainer automatically explains anything new we're trying on my horses, whether it's tack, a bit change, or a riding exercise. If for some reason he doesn't explain, I'll ask and he readily answers.

8. Friesiangirl

Very solid advice.

windblown likes this.
  9. Chester

Chester Senior Member

Having read some of your other threads I think you need a new trainer. The issue is not with the horse but your riding ability. I would never put a 'training aid' other than a set of grass reins on a horse ridden by someone who is not a competent rider.

Sorry if you think my reply is harsh I am just trying to be honest. I think your 'trainer' might end up getting you seriously injured.

10. jill pondell

jill pondell Full Member

I moved to a new training facility in December, if you're thinking of my old trainer.

TLFC likes this.