The aquarium thread :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pony123, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

I don't know if anyone has fish of any type but I just got into the hobby and I am loving it!! I have a ten gallon tropical tank with three mickey mouse platies, two khuli loaches, 4 black neon tetras and a male half-moon betta. The biggest event coming up in my life now is I'm getting a 55 gallon tank with filters and a stand in May and I can't wait to plant and stock it. So, anyone else have fish?

QHriderKE, apndi and TheSnowLeopard like this.
  2. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Oh and photos...

Attached Files:

Varisha and TheSnowLeopard like this.
  3. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

I have a little veil-tail betta that I've named Lucifer aka Satan because he's so angry (in typical betta style)
    I've been keeping him in a bowl for 8 months and don't really plan to change that because if he was gonna die he would have done that by now.

He's a jerk, mostly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Varisha likes this.
  4. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Do pool comets in the yard pond/ horse trough count?
    They do a bangup job keeping the mosquitos down.
    We have to replace them sometimes, because theres a heron in the area thats very good a whole-scale overnight pond evictions. (n) :unsure:
    Netting helps, prevents heron wading, but sometimes theres frogs, adn they lie or have to jump in & out. And the Yikes frogs ('named' for sound, not sure of species) leap impressively high as they shriek and spook waterward.
    The comets are fun to have &watch in the pond or tank. The best defense to keeping them stocked is to have some black comets in the water, as they are hard for the heron to see, so evade it better.

Pony123 likes this.
  5. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I love fish too! A lot of people think they're boring (especially bettas), but people don't realize that if you actually take care of them their little personalities come out and they're a little bit more interactive.

I have two ten gallon tanks with just one male betta in each :D One crown tail named Lil Buddy, and one half-moon named Orion. I don't have pics of them currently, I'm gonna have to come back to post them. I'm not posting pics of my tanks, they're very ugly! Lol. Just a few plastic plants and no substrate. I was gonna deck them out with nice black gravel and some live plants but then I got my lizard, so my aquarium decoration money went to him instead. Over the summer when I have more time I'm gonna start researching live plant care and hopefully make my tanks more aesthetically pleasing :)

Pony123 likes this.
  6. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Haha I love black comets! They are gorgeous! One day I will have a goldfish tank but I've got to get a job first XD and QHriderKE, your betta is beautiful!

7. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

Thanks, lol. But he's mostly just angry. I've seen friends and family have bettas, and mine is by far the most aggressive I've encountered.

Pony123 likes this.
  8. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

Luckily mine is very peaceful. We kept him with a dwarf gourami and guppies which can be sketchy sometimes but he was not bothered at all. The only thing he couldn't deal with was females in his tank for breeding so we gave them away.

9. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I used to have over 28 aquariums, from 10 gallons to 150 gallons. Now, I have nothing. LOL. I donated my 90 gallon tank full of Mbuna cichlids to my health center's nursing home in memory of my grandpa. They are constantly breeding and it's fun to see the new littles! I may not have fish any more but I do have plenty of experience and knowledge. Looking forward to seeing everyone's pics!

loom and Pony123 like this.
  10. QHriderKE

QHriderKE Senior Member

I want to get a tank a few gallons bigger and give him a couple snail friends, we'll see though.

Pony123 likes this.