The Appaloosa?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by SamanthaKB, Jul 21, 2015.

1. SamanthaKB

SamanthaKB Full Member

Personally I've been raised around Saddlebreds and Hackney ponies all my life, but my mother and I recently rescued a lovely purebred Appaloosa mare, and I decided to look into the breed a little more. But when looking around at breeding farms and other images of Appaloosa's they all seemed to look so different from her (mind you she's thin and has very little muscle on her because of her previous owner) But in regards to her confirmation and her very face, it makes me wonder if there is a more traditional Appaloosa bloodline/breed versus a more "modern" version? From my understanding there a 3 different types (not breeds) of Saddlebreds; the sport which has a more athletic build that makes it appear similar to the Warmblood, the show type or the modern day Saddlebred, and the traditional type where its' confirmation appears most similar to the breed upon its first appearance. So I was just wondering if there was something like that with Appaloosa's

Her Picture:
    http://myhorseforum.com/media/p7153295.474989/

2. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

The appaloosa has been crossed with stock breeds, mostly quarter horses, so the horse today does not have the same "type" as the original breed.

manesntails likes this.
  3. 2spotslast

2spotslast Senior Member

Did you really have to get me started? Please don't fall into that "purebred Appaloosa" trap, because there is no such thing and never has been. Chief Joe isn't the only one who had the spotties, and there weren't any breeding farms back then-all horses ranged together so they were a mish mash from the get go.

There are many different body types-from the currently preferred QH type, to the TB type (I have both of these types) to the current foundation (FAHR) type, which IMO, is a step backward from the F numbered horses at the outset of the ApHC. The FAHR foundation type has more emphasis on how many F# crosses there are and coat pattern with conformation not even playing into it. Yeah, I'm jaded.
    You may still find some that have the Arabian type, since Arabs are an approved outcross, and to a lesser extent, some Saddlebred types, thanks to a horse named Chocolate Sunday back there a ways. There were a couple of other Saddlebreds involved, but I can't remember which ones. Sucks to get old, lol. I can guarantee Buck Rogers wasn't one of them though, darn it.

Bottom line is, the Appaloosa is still pretty much of a mish mash. My preference runs to my TB types, but I also like the old type from the 60's, when they can be found. That's usually the Toby lines.

Can you post a pic of your mare? Would love to see her! Thank you for taking her in. Just an FYI here, ApHC may be changing the rules so if you wanted to register her, that may be possible later this year.

4. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

Anymore than there is a purebred anything else then, because they all started with a mix of things to make what they are.

meljean, ginster and Varisha like this.
  5. EmbodiedSpirit

EmbodiedSpirit Full Member

Different bloodlines will produce different looking horses. Our UK Appys look nothing like American Appys. Just like QH, SB, Arabs etc... it's horses for courses. Halter bred are going to look a far side different from sports bred. The fact that the registry allows certain outcrosses to other breeds also means you're dealing with a breed where you can stand two horses together and they look utterly different. Pics plz? :D

manesntails, meljean and Varisha like this.
  6. 2spotslast

2spotslast Senior Member

True, but the other breeds have one standard of type, with some slight variation (i.e., appendix QH), while the Appaloosa is all over the place. The powers that be are once again arguing over what the definitive breed type should be, so the approved type may be changing. Again.

manesntails and meljean like this.
  7. Trubandloki

Trubandloki Senior Member

I think what you are seeing is typical in all the stock breeds at this point, not something just the appy breed is doing. They are bred for specialization so there is no one typical look. HUS horses are tall and lanky, halter horses look like some funky thing standing on tooth picks, etc.

meljean likes this.
  8. foureyed_dragon

foureyed_dragon Senior Member

"Old style" Appaloosas tend to be "jug headed" with sparse mane and tail, sometimes no mane or tail. The newer type tends to look like a spotted QH or Thoroughbred and then to have a fuller mane and tail.

9. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Don't forget,part of the "pacification" process was to kill off all the Appaloosa stallions and replace them with draft breeds. That was to ruin the stamina and agility of the native horse,thereby taking away the advantage the native peoples had.

10. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Yes and yes. Appaloosas still allow AQHA, TB ad Arabian out crosses so, of course, apps are not going to all look alike. As quoted above from ES, there are other breeds that are this way, being bred for specialties has a big effect in appearance.

We have quite a few apps but they are pretty similar in build and type since they were all produced by my FIL. Just like with AQHA, if you stand a cutter next to a HUS animal you will swear you are seeing two diffeernt breeds. The influence of out crosses is a big part of that but breeding for specific disciplines is a more recent effect.

Just like every other attribute, the "hair gene" in apps can be found in certain lines too. A loud app does not have to be lacking in the mane and tail department any more.